Chapter 28

A N T O N I O

We were flying on the plane but Max seems distracted. I originally wanted to do a road trip thinking it would bond us but Romeo quickly shut the idea down, all of us in one car. Not a good idea.

I noticed a lot about max while we ate breakfast and even when we all got on the plane. She never askes for help and she never wants help either, we are so much alike, its frightening at times because I don't want her to be detached and cold like I once was.

I want her to enjoy like and maybe a little spoiled but all kids deserve that life, I may be a cruel mafia leader but I don't hurt kids.

I never would.

She only talked to Leo, when we got on the plane, and when we took off I tried to help her with her stuff and help her get her seat belt on, but she declined and got it herself.

So stubborn and so prideful it hurts me but I'd never let it show, I don't know what else I can do to prove that I wanna be her father, that I want us to be a family.

Matteo says I have to be patient and wait till she comes to me but I'm not the type, I'm trying but it's hard.

I let our pilot know we are all ready and we are off to see our cousins. I'm a little nervous for them to see Max, I've talked to them let them know what things to say and not.

But I'm more worried about Max, she doesn't seem bothered but it's an act, one I know all to well.

People like us hold our feelings back, either afraid someone will catch a weakness or to Afraid to let people in, to many people have let Max down and I'm not a fool I know it's even harder when she meets new people.

Their strangers to her and I get that, it doesn't stop me from wanting it to be different but it's how it is for now.

Hopefully our cousins make her feel welcome and comfortable, and not grill her on questions.

This trip is supposed to get us all to relax not send Max running again.

I only can hope it makes us all closer.

M A X

I was meaning to take a nap but I pause when I notice the warry expression on Antonios face, I've never seen him look strained before but his eyes are squinted as he looks out the window.

I didn't mean to make it worry, I just enjoy the silence, I'm so used to it, it's hard to do anything else.

I sigh and change my line of vision over to Leo, he grins at me with that usual weird excitement. He's always making an effort with me, I suspect it's to get me to smile or something but it rarely works.

Just as my eyes close a little, Leo's voice wakes me "aren't you going to ask anything about our cousins?"

I shrug "well I'm meeting them soon so it really doesn't matter."

He rolls his eyes and even though he isn't supposed to, he gets up and sits on the seat beside me, which gets a tiny lecture from Antonio about plan safety or something.

I swear being protective is in Antonios blood. He's always the first to correct his brothers.

I will eventually get used to it but I'm still learning more about these men everyday.

Leo continues to speak his questions, "well are you excited?" He drawls out.

"Sure, a little I guess."

He sighs, "cmon max tell me how your really feeling?"

I raise a brow and play dumb but Leo narrows his eyes.

I blow out a breath, "ok I'm a little nervous."

He smiles and surprises me by holding my hand, "don't worry, their all easy going and will like you."

"Most of them are around your age too, except cherry and her husband."

"Is cherry your dad's sister or something?" I ask still unsure.

He shakes his head, "no our dad was the only child, they aren't really are cousins, just friends of the family." He explains.

"But in our family, everyone considered friends is considered as family."

I nod slightly, "so they are just all friends and stuff?" I ask.

He nods "I know you don't understand but its how close we all are."

I sigh and notice now that Matteo and Antonio are looking at me, wanting my reaction I suppose.

"I understand." I nod and smile a little.

"I get how close friends are like family."

"I can't wait to meet them."