Chapter Forty-One

"This sucks," Tristan murmured

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"This sucks," Tristan murmured.

"Oh, you poor baby," I cooed, adding a bit of force as I dabbed the inner corner of his left eye with a damp cloth. He winced, trying the lean away from my touch.

I was attempting to get the last of the dried blood we'd missed earlier, but he insisted on making this a difficult process for both of us. Not to mention, he was pouting because I kept swatting his hands away from my body. It was tough to focus with him doing that. At least he wasn't swaying anymore — I suspected the water and 2 Snickers bars I'd forced him to drink and eat had helped a little. He'd also brushed his teeth after I refused to kiss him, citing his breath could get me tipsy.

"This wasn't what I had in mind when you said we should head back to the tent. You tricked me."

I scoffed. "I didn't do anything. It was getting late and we have to drive back tomorrow. You need sleep — I need sleep. And you're in no condition to do anything to me right now."

He opened his mouth to protest, but I cut him short with a stern look, saying, "And you smell like a bar. You're lucky I'm not making you sleep outside tonight. As it is, I'm tempted to dunk your head in water again."

As I resumed wiping at the corner of his eye, he grimaced, jerking his head away from my hand again. "I think I'm clean now." His lips curled into a grin, "Unless you want me to take off my clothes too? Maybe I have some blood on my dick."

I narrowed my eyes at him, setting the cloth down. He was clean enough. "Am I just a body to you? Is having sex with me all you can think about?"

His eyes rounded and he rushed to reassure me, "Fuck no!"

Pulling me closer so that I was forced to spread my thighs and saddle him, he buried his face in my hair and mumbled, "It isn't, I promise. I think about other things when I'm with you. It's just that ... whenever I'm with you, I have this need to get as close to you as possible — and sex is the best way I can do that," he squeezed me, pulling me tighter against him, "But I think about your smile, your laugh, your voice. I like talking to you. You're so fucking smart and I could listen to you for hours — even when you're shitting me out for something I did or said... and I don't know how else to show you I like you other than by having sex with you. It helps that you're the first girl I've actually liked fucking. You know — outside of just the physical act of release and the distraction it gave me."

I sighed, reaching up to run my fingers through his soft hair. He melted when I did that, exhaling a small moan into my shoulder. It made me never want to let go of him.

A thought occurred to me and my brows furrowed. "Why would sex be a distraction for you? I thought the whole point was to avoid those?"

He froze, going rigid under me. "It's nothing. I meant nothing by that. Sex was just a way to feel good — that's it, that's what I meant."