Chapter Forty-Five

He didn't show up for class again

I couldn't decide if that made me angry or not. On one hand, his absence could hurt his grades, but on the other hand, I knew he was doing it to spare us both the awkwardness. Yet, it didn't make things easier. My hope that avoiding one another would alleviate the pain slowly diminished as each day felt worse than the last. 

I missed him.

The constant ache in my chest refused to subside, and he was never far from my thoughts. I dreamed about him too. They were usually filled with memories or twisted scenarios, some of him with someone else, others of him saying hurtful things. I had yet to have a good night's sleep since he left.

And it didn't help that everywhere I went, people spoke about him. I'd hear his name or moniker every time I walked to class, or when I went to Beanz to get my morning coffee. Even the library wasn't safe from conversations about his upcoming game.

Which was today.

Part of me had considered going, maybe bringing my brother along as an excuse — just to ensure he was okay or even happy. I genuinely hoped he was, knowing full well the pressure he faced. But there was also a darker side of me, one I tried to ignore, that hoped he was hurting just as much as me. I always felt so disappointed with myself when I entertained those thoughts. How could I ever want to hurt him or his future? I wanted him to succeed.

Just maybe I hoped it would be with me.

I sighed heavily, dropping my pen to rub both of my aching eyes with the palms of my hands. It was only eleven in the morning, and already, I yearned to go back home, retreat into my blankets, and shut out the outside world.

At least when I moved for my internship, I wouldn't have to be constantly reminded of him. Sure, Kansas wasn't too far away, but it would put some much-needed space between us.

Yesterday, I finally sent my answer to my advisor, Ms. Harold. And then I phoned my dad and told him everything. After listening patiently, he agreed to help convince my mother, knowing full well she'd put up a fight.

And this morning, as if to solidify the decision I'd made, I received confirmation that I was leaving in a month. The news both terrified me and filled me with a profound sense of sadness. It was starting to sink in that I'd be leaving my family behind, saying goodbye to Dale, and... Tristan.

Forcefully swallowing down the lump lodged in my throat, I started packing up my things. It felt like I was admitting defeat, but I just couldn't seem to make any headway with my work. I thought being elsewhere would help me concentrate better, but instead of finding solace outside of the house, I felt even more on edge. Every passing face made me tense up, eyes darting around in search of him. It was becoming downright irritating.

Locking the door behind me, I returned to the front desk and handed the key to Jacqueline. Thankfully, she was the only one there, and she wasn't one for small talk, so I could drop it off and leave without delay.