Chapter Forty-Nine

She attacked out of nowhere, rushing forward and catching me completely off guard

Beth came at me with strength and speed that belied her small frame, and before I could do anything but let out a startled yelp, she collided with me, sending us both to the ground. 

All of the breath was knocked out of me as my back and head hit the ground hard, jolting my senses. Stars danced in my vision as a blinding agony shot through my skull, and I let out a pained groan.

"Oh my God!" I heard someone shout through the lightning ricocheting through my head and down my spine.

Before I could fully comprehend the situation, I felt a pair of hands wrap around my neck, squeezing with a vice-like grip that cut off all my air supply. Instinctively, my hands reached up for her wrists as panic and fear shot through me. I tried desperately to pry her fingers away, but she was saddling me and all of her body's weight was leaning forward into her grip — so I clawed at her hands, breaking skin with my nails — except she was too enraged to care.

"I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!" I heard her screaming as she sobbed through the blood rushing in my ears, "I wish you would just die!" 

Tears streamed down her face as she sobbed uncontrollably, her grip tightening around my throat with every passing second. I couldn't focus on what she was saying because I was too busy trying to get her off me. I attempted to buck her off, but she was sitting too far up my body, her small but firm thighs squeezing my ribs.

"Hannah!" Past the blood rushing in my ears, I heard Jenny's voice, a mixture of fright and urgency as she rushed to pull Beth off me.

"Let go of me!" Beth screeched at Jenny as she tried to pull her off me. 

I could see Jenny's red hair through the involuntary tears leaking from my eyes as she tried to help, but Beth was relentless,  her knees digging into my ribs as she maintained her death grip around my throat. 

"I said let go of me!" She snarled at Jenny.

Reaching up, I tried to claw at her face, but because she was putting a lot of pressure on my main artery, the edges of my vision were starting to darken. Each second felt like an eternity as I fought for breath, the world starting to dim. 

This woman was actually trying to kill me. And I had no idea why.

"Where is he? Is he here?" She demanded, shaking me.

"Someone call the police!"

As my vision dipped, and the strength ebbed from my limbs, I struggled to comprehend the mayhem erupting around me. The sound of running footsteps and frantic screams echoed, but they felt distant and distorted, drowned out by the relentless pounding of my heartbeat in my head. I could only focus on the face of the girl above me.

For a few agonizing seconds, time seemed to stand still as our gazes locked and held. I saw something primal and feral in her eyes, and it sent a cold chill coursing through my veins.