Chapter 3: Acquaintances at best.

Content Warning!! Talk of suicidal thoughts (It's wholesome I swear)

Monday, January 7th, 2023
12:03PM
Wednesday's POV

I walk back into the room and find Yoko and Enid looking at me strangely. We all spoke for a second before ultimately deciding how this was going to work. One of us, either me or Yoko would simply have to ask the other one a question. It seems basic but within ten minutes of discussing this we never actually thought of a question. However, we all agreed that me and Yoko would chat privately on the balcony. I assume this is to make us feel less pressured by Enid to bond with each other.

It's foggy and muted outside as I step through the glass window. The few remains of snow are melting on the ground as the grey clouds hover in the sky. Yoko follows behind me and we stand feet apart from each other, both looking outward towards the view. It was almost peaceful for a moment before Yoko decided to interrupt the silence.

"Do you want to start this or should I?" She questions. I ignore her for a second and stare into the distance. Something about this spot always makes me feel indifferent and I can't help but question why. But alas, I'm not up here alone, so I can't think about myself at the moment.

"I'd rather not start a conversation with you." I say coldly in response.

"Okay then, I'll start...what's your favorite movie?" She asks awkwardly. I chose not to comment on that way she delivered that sentence.

"I don't normally watch movies."

"Of course you don't." Yoko responds. With a mere smile of amusement on her face. She doesn't say thing else, so I keep looking out into the distance. Putting Yoko's personality aside, one of the reasons that we might not get along is the fact that I have never made an attempt to get to know her. I sigh to myself and continue the conversation.

"Do you have a favorite film?" I reluctantly ask her. I've never heard someone respond so quickly to a question without cutting the speaker off.

"Home alone." She says, wasting no time.

"That's a-" I start to respond but Yoko interjects.

"And happiest season."

"Both of those are Christmas movies."

"I'm a Christmas whore. Live, laugh, fuck Christmas." She states, screaming the last four words of that sentence off the balcony. I watch as multiple flocks of birds exit the trees within the vicinity.

"Do you have any sort of filter?" I judgmentally question the girl feet away from me.

"Pot calling the kettle black much?" She fires back. Yoko isn't entirely wrong. I have been told on different occasions that I can't read a room, know how someone is feeling, or just comprehend basic human actions. This does lead me to say the wrong things at times, however, I'm not trying to be offensive, if I was you would know. I don't feel the need to hide my thoughts, especially when it comes to insulting people that I don't approve of.

"If that's how you chose to view it." I respond. I watch as a new group of clouds quickly take over the dull sky and replace the old ones. It's silent on this balcony, but you can still hear students far beneath you on the ground. You can hear the beginning of year activities thriving in Jericho. You can hear the wind blowing against leaves and the chimes in several people's windows. It's nice up here. I don't like people, but I like watching them from this balcony.

Yoko's presence isn't completely intolerable. She's not saying anything, although the atmosphere isn't nearly as tense as it normally is then we're in the same space. I can see her slightly move out of my peripheral vision. I turn my head fully in her direction and watch as she leans over the railing of the balcony and stares down.