Chapter 6: You're so pretty.

January 8th, 2023
8:42PM
Enid's POV

Wednesday has been acting a bit strange today, and not like normal Wednesday strange, I'm used to that this was something else. During math class today I saw her and Yoko talking about something, I tried to listen in but the room was too loud so I couldn't hear clearly. 

I can't get her out of my mind. The club fair is supposed to happen later in the week so there was nothing for people to do. Some went into Jericho, but I just wanted to be with Wednesday, even if it was in silence, which it most definitely is. We've spoken a bit about our days but it's kind of hard to do that when we were with each other the whole time. Normally I can talk non-stop, but when it's silent like this I can't help but not know what to say. There's this weird tension in the room and I just don't know what do to with it. 

Yoko keeps telling me to say something to her. Not that I have to tell her that I like her, but at least tell her I'm not straight. I'm nervous for some reason about that though. I doubt that she is, but Wednesday could always be homophobic. "It's always the gayest looking people." Yoko once told me. But I don't think she is, she knows Yoko and Divina are dating. Yeah, she doesn't really enjoy either of their company but that has to do with them as people, not their sexuality. 

"I can feel your eyes on me Enid." Wednesday says with her back turned to me, sitting down, still writing on her typewriter. I sit up on my bed and scoot to the end, dangling my legs over the edge. I keep looking at her, the posture is scary good. 

"Sorry, just thinking." I say quietly, not sure how to respond. 

"What about?" She asks. This catches me off guard. Last semester whenever I told her that I was thinking she would say something like 'Then I'll leave you to it,' she's rarely ever asked about what. Something has changed about her, it's slight but noticeable. She's asking about my thoughts, trying to get along with my friends, and she lets me hug her now. The crazy part about the hugging is that she almost admitted to liking my hugs yesterday too. 

"You know, stuff I guess." I respond, still not fully knowing how to go about this. She pauses her typing and turns around. We look at each other for a second before she gets up and sits on her bed, directly across from me. School day is over so she's wearing her own clothes. A black and white thickly stripped tank top and a massive black zip up hoodie over it. It's zipped only halfway and it's hanging off one of her shoulders. She has baggy black shorts on with her white socks and fancy black slippers with a gold WA pin on each of them. Her braids are still perfect as they always are, but I can't help but want to get her hair down. 

"What kind of stuff?" She questions. 

"I'll tell you if you let me do your hair." I state, taking an opportunity. She looks at me blankly before her eyes find everywhere in the room to look but me. "I mean...I'll tell you anyways, but I would really like to do your hair." 

It's quiet for a minute. She's thinking and I don't want to interrupt. She's very specific about her hair, I don't mind that. If she doesn't feel comfortable, I won't be hurt. 

"Alright." She says, breaking the silence. 

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Your bed or mine?" I question.

"I'd much prefer if you came to my bed. I don't mean to offend but I feel more comfortable over here." She says. I nod my head in understanding right before running over to her bed, obviously excited. I remind myself to relax a bit and sit down to her left, not too close. She reaches over to her nightstand, opens the top drawer, and pulls out a brush. She hands it to me the same way you would hand scissors to someone. It's the same as her slippers, black with a gold WA on the handle. For some reason this makes me crack a small smile. 

I look at the space between me and her, it's way too much for me to do her hair. 

"We might need to move a bit closer. I guess I could reach, but it would be kind of uncomfortable to do it this way." I note. She nods her head slowly, looking to the rest of her bed. 

"Let's just move to the middle, I'll turn my back, so you have better access." 

"Okay." I agree. I move myself to the middle of her bed. Her comforter is soft, like really soft, I always assumed that it would be rough or something, like nails. She would probably like that, sleeping on a bed of nails. Who am I kidding, she probably has slept on a bed of nails. 

I sit criss cross on her bed, waiting for her to join me. She looks at me before she makes her way in front of me. She turns her back that and moves closer to me, her lower back touching my crossed legs. I thought as soon as we touched, she would move, but she didn't. I go to unbraid her hair but pause before I do anything. 

"You're okay with me touching your hair, right?" I ask, really trying to make sure she doesn't mind. She turns her head halfway, looking at me over her shoulder. 

"You need to touch my hair to do it Enid, correct?" She sarcastically says. I laugh at her remark. The comment immediately lightens up the vibe of the room, it's been tense ever since I've come over to her bed. 

I reach my hands up and take out the hair ties. She only has two in, both thin clear ones at the bottom, holding her braids together. She does her hair so perfectly everyday she doesn't need them at the roots. I take out the ties and both braids untangle themselves halfway. I gently run my fingers through her hair, getting it all straight. It's so smooth it's crazy, probably the healthiest hair I have ever felt. Jet black and gorgeous. 

"Wednesday, your hair is so beautiful." I tell her, now brushing her hair out, not that she needs it. "Can you turn around for a second, I wanna see your face." I ask. She's silent for a minute. It's weird, I know when her silence means she either thinking, or not going to respond at all. Right now, she's thinking. 

"Only for a second, then I turn back." She says. I pull the brush away right before she lifts herself up with her arms, turns around and faces me. We stay silent while I look at her. Her hair, freshly out of braids is a bit wavy with some volume, but perfect. She's still, looking elsewhere so I take this chance to admire her whole face. The bone structure, her freckles, those eyes, her lips. 

"You're so pretty Wednesday." I say without thinking. She redirects her attention to me, finally looking me in the eyes. "I mean, you're always pretty but...I've never really looked at you like this before." I continue. The look in her eyes, I can't tell what it is, but it's not bad. 

"Thank you. You are quite breathtaking yourself." She compliments. I can feel my face get red by the second. I was just called breathtaking, by my crush, Wednesday Addams, I need a minute before I pass out and embarrass myself. I can't help but smile before she turns back around. 

And to think, it's only 9:00PM. 

The night just started. 

I haven't even done her hair yet.