Chapter 13: The devil herself - 2

Thursday, January 10th, 2023
4:36PM
Enid's POV

[Still the Flashback]

"That Addams girl you always go on and on about. Disgusting girl, truly a piece of work I can imagine. Yet, another reason I'm pleased with Ajax's arrival. Maybe I might hear you talk about something other than the devil herself." My mother said. 

I didn't know how to respond to this. She had only ever met Wednesday once on parent day, and even then, they didn't talk, just introductions. I could tell that didn't matter though; she had already made up her mind about hating her. However, at the time of this conversation, I wasn't focused on that bit. As terrible as it was, I wasn't even focusing on the negative things my mother was saying about Wednesday. My mind was solely thinking about how often I talked about Wednesday. "Maybe I might hear you talk about something other than the devil herself" is what my mother said. 

Something other. 

At the time I didn't know I liked Wednesday yet. Now looking back on it, I should have. I started to grow anxious sitting at that dinner table. How often did I talk about her? What was I saying? My mother doesn't think I like her, does she? 

Yeah, that last one was a legit thought I had. For some reason I chalked it up to a "all best friends talk about their best friend as if they are obsessed and in love with them, that's just what good friends do" kind of thing. In my mind, I didn't have a crush on Wednesday. I couldn't, I was dating Ajax. No, I just really really platonically liked her. 

I was kind of delusional when I was dating Ajax. 

"I don't talk about her all the time." Was the only thing I said. My mother scoffed. Right when she did that, I knew more was about to be said, stuff the night could go without.  

"Oh please, all you do is talk about that little demon. Matter of fact, you talk about her so much so that until Ajax walked through the door, I could have sworn she was going to be our guest instead of him. I was quite pleased he did too, the thought of a dyke under my roof nearly caused me a heart attack." She laughed loudly as the room grew tense. I guess I never did explicitly tell her who was coming that night, but that never warranted the slurs. 

"Wednesdays not a-" I slowly started before I was cut off. 

"I am not talking about Wednesday." She spoke. 

That shut me up real quick. Instead of everyone's eyes on my mother I could feel them all on me. Although mine were getting teary I was not about to cry, crying would make her think she won. 

"I'm not a-" I attempted saying. 

"I know you're not. Don't give me reason to think otherwise." My mother said to me. She said a lot of things to me, but to this day, those two sentences still haunt me. I don't talk about Wednesday anymore to my mother, I don't even talk about Yoko to her. When I do mention her, I lie and say that me and Marco (I boy I made up) are going strong. I shouldn't have to do that, but I need too. 

The next five minutes of the night were silent, similar to the way it was before my mother started talking again. I was actually happy that it was quiet. It was fine...for the most part. I could feel Ajax's eyes look over to me once and a while. It wasn't in a concerned way either. It's the way where you know the person looking at you is judging you. But I ignored it, until I couldn't. 

That came when Ajax asked me to talk for a second. I was nervous, obviously so I turned to him and nodded my head, urging him to keep going. I really wasn't up for having a massive conversation about what happened that night. He shook his head no and told me he wanted to talk in private. My brothers and father weren't paying attention, and my mother was too busy hating me in the moment to care, so we left and went upstairs.