5. First Blood

As I open the door of the Employee quarters where I heard hungry roars, my whole body is literally shacking.

Pushing it aside, a pungent smell instantly hit me, making me almost vomit my dinner.

The quarters is like an open dormitory with only double decked bed lined up beside the wall. Some miscellaneous items are still on the bed, while the shared dining table is full of rotten food. Probably leftovers of the stay in employees, they set aside to reheat in the morning. Sadly, the night shift employees didn't have the chance and died silently in the middle of the night.

Alva purses her lips while trying to control her emotions. She's not a cold-hearted person, infact she's a sympathetic type. However, in the Apocalypse, she's aware that if she won't change, people will take advantage of her.

She's tired of living in misery. God gave her this second chance, and she'll do everything to make this chance, worth it.

She took the knife from the space as the sound of roaring got louder. She saw a huge humanoid with snake lower body and scales all over her rotten upper body. The upper body was deformed with protruding bones and dark flesh, the lower body was coiled under the creature around 5 meters long and half a meter thick. It's almost twice the size of a normal human.

This is a zero level snake monster. Although it's huge and looks imposing, it's still in the process of transformation. It's the most vulnerable time for a monster because all movements are limited to crawling and biting. It's also slow, that even a normal person could outrun it.

Knowing these facts couldn't stop her from being frightened and disgusted. Standing infront of the horrifying creature, that she only sees in the horror movies and films.

It's aggressively crawling towards her, despite his slow and stiff movements. It's hungry and red eyes are looking at her with predatory instinct, treating her as its prey, treating her as its food.

When the creature is just two meters away from her, she closed her eyes and trusts her knife down with all her might. It released an angry and painful roar, but despite this, he still whipped his snake tail towards her. She was hit by the hard tail towards the hard wall, and for a second, she couldn't move.

Ah..wrong move.

Because I closed my eyes, instead of striking it's head, since that's the monsters' weakness as written in the manhwa, I unfortunately just hit it's shoulder.

It was written in a survival book to not close your eyes when striking your enemies, but what can I say? It's easier said than done.

At this moment, all the knowledge from books and movies isn't important anymore. Those look easy in a third-person point of view, but in reality it's hard and almost deadly.

A single mistake could cause you death, so you're not allowed to make one. Fortunately, what I'm facing right now is a half-baked monster, or else...

Thinking of this, Alva's eyes sharpened. She forced her fears away as she struggles to stand up.

Weary of the creature's tail, she woobly walked towards the vulnerable upper body. Lifting the blood-stained knife, she again striked its rotten eye till the knife passed through the temple.

Dark blood sprayed from the monster's head as it wiggled stubbornly before it completely fell down on the floor.

Seeing its cracked head and the yellowish brain flowing, she couldn't stop herself anymore and vomited everything in her stomach.

After emptying her stomach, she chopped the creature's head in half. Stirred for a while, before she found a transparent crystal nucleus from the monster's head.