8. Travel Together

The following day the City Army came.

Loud speakers broadcast and gunfire could be heard from the distance. You can see heavy trucks and off-road vehicles on the road.

With the soldiers fighting the monster beasts, cheers of the remaining survivors and wailing for their dead relatives sounded loudly. Now they realized that there's still a lot of survivors left in the City, they were probably hiding silently in their houses until now.

This is the first time for Alva to see so many people again after the end of the world. Due to anxiety, she silently watch everything only from inside the room.

Honestly, her condition is now slowly improving. With her newly found confidence and the new environment, thoughts about death and suicide were now rarely crossing her mind.

It's just.. because of the long-term isolation, she's not used to the crowd anymore and will probably take time to adjust and live normally again.

Knock knock..

Simon knocked on her door silently. She opened the door and invited him in before closing it tightly again.

"The army already contacted me, we will follow behind them at 9 am. Are you done packing?" he asked her, softening his voice. The little girl is too timid. Amidst all the cheerings, she only watch everything in hiding.

He doesn't want to think about what she had experienced that pushed her to isolate herself from the world, but he couldn't help it. He can't ignore the way she shakes and the horror in those clear eyes whenever there's people.

If he'll say it frankly, maybe Alva prefers monster beasts more, than humans as company. Thinking about this, he remembered how she looked when she was dancing with her knife in her hand, harvesting heads freely..

He wants Alva to live like that, and he promised himself that he'll help her so that she won't remember those shadows of her past again.

In his heart, that's how the little girl should live. Free and full of confidence. She should be pampered and spoiled to be willful.

His eyes looking at the girl have become much softer. Fortunately Alva doesn't reject him. He could feel that she's not as on-guard around him as compared to others.

They'll travel together, and he'll grab this opportunity so that she'll get used to his presence. Then maybe they could further move their relationship beyond acquaintance.

It's a lie if he say he wasn't moved by Alva. He couldn't pinpoint why, but the moment he saw her, he knew he wants to take care of her, be with her and know everything about her.

His proposal yesterday was partly for her and mostly for his own selfishness. Fortunately she agreed or he'll probably resort to tricks just to bring her with him.

"Umm..I just need to dismantle the water tank on the rooftop. ahmm..will you please help me?" she asked.

All the materials in this Building have been collected yesterday. Only the tank was left, since it's too heavy and she has no knowledge on how to dismantle it. But it's such a waste not to collect such good material. Water will be scarce soon.

Although she has enough water in space now, enough to drink for a few lifetimes, but she's still reluctant to use those bottled drinking water for bathing. The water she collected for bathing is only enough for her to use for few months.

"Okay. Come in my room. I prepared breakfast for us" he invited.

He saw Alva blinked a few times in daze before nodding in agreement. He couldn't hide his joy and flashed a smile infront of her. As expected, the little girl blushed after seeing his smile.