11. Set Off

Upon entering the base hall, a soldier guided Simon towards the prepared accomodation. Because of the tight number of rooms, only one room was given to them.

Not wanting to embarrass the soldier, Simon thanked him and did not request an additional room or assistance.

"Sir. Commander Len requested a meeting at 8 o'clock pm. I'll wait for you at the door by 7:30 pm" said the soldier.

"Noted" after that, he guided Alva, who's blending on his shadow, into the room.

The room is not big. Around 20 square meters, but the prepared daily necessities and food are rich and we'll stocked.  The refrigerator is full of frozen meat and fruits, the cabinet is full of dried vegetables, canned food, packs of noodles, self-heating hotpot, rice and other items like chocolate and nuts.

This treatment can be said to be "very generous" in Apocalypse, which shows how much the commander cares about his comrade-in-arms and brother' grandson.

"I'll cook. You rest first" Simon said after pushing her on the couch.

"I can cook too. You've been driving for several days. Obviously, you're more tired than I am" she offered, embarrassed.

"No need. Just rest honestly. I know the journey drained you out" he smiled at her dotingly, patting her soft hair.

"Okay" she murmured.

To be honest, she's really tired and sore from the nonstop and bumpy travel. If not for Simon, she really would settle in this base instead of traveling a long and dangerous journey to the Capital.

Unknowingly, Alva dozed off to sleep. The couch is soft and comfortable and the place is secure and safe. With Simon in the room, she let her guard down and slept peacefully.

Sensing Alva's even breathing, Simon smiled helplessly before striding to Alva's side. He carried her and laid her on the bed, tucked her in the sheets, then dimmed the lights.

The two packs of noodles were eaten by him cleanly. This will taste unpalatable after soaking for long, he'll just prepare food for Alva after she wakes up.

•••

At 7:30 in the morning, Simon woke her up. Although he doesn't want to disturb her rest, he can't bear leaving her hungry.

"It's okay. Just eat this, then go back to sleep. I'll leave first to meet the Commander. Wait for me" he said tenderly. Dotingly looking at the drowsy girl on the bed.

He arranged the food on the table. Chicken strips with vegetable noodles, Ham and bacon on the side. He then pushed a steaming hot milk infront of her and a cup of water.

"Thank you.." though still sleepy and feeling sore, she smiled at him brightly. She pinched his palm intimately, before telling him to be careful outside.

"Okay. I'll be careful" he patted her messy hair before kissing her temple lightly.

Boom! All the sleepiness disappeared. Alva blushed from head to toe! Looking at the escaping man, a soft giggle escaped her lips. When was it?

When was the last time she laughed?

Smiling, she tapped her jumping heart, telling it to calm down. Simon she whispered lovingly inside her.

•••

After Simon arrived, the two rested and honestly slept until the following morning.

At 9 o'clock am, Simon and Alva climbed a large SUV. It's full of supplies and weapons given by the base commander grandpa.

Just after an hour and thirty minutes on the road, Simon parked the car in an abandoned building. Naturally, Alva put it inside the space, including the supplies and gasoline before taking out the five seater off-road vehicle they used last time.

It's much convenient to use a smaller car. Gasoline-saving and less conspicuous. It's faster and could sneak out easily and it won't be targeted much along the way.

"Are you nervous?" Simon asked, holding her left hand.

"No. I'm with you" she whispered, smiling at him. Squeezing back. With the male protagonist, of course she's safe under his Halo.

Simon is happy. His female trusts him completely. Even in this situation that he wanted to drag him out of City base to travel a dangerous journey, he never heard her say anything else and let him decide everything.

He promised in his heart that after coming back to the Capital, he will take good care of Alva. Spoiled her, pamper her. He turned on the ignition and maneuver to the side narrow road.

"Where are awe going?" Alva asked in puzzlement. This is not the main road towards the Capital.

"We'll go to the frozen factory, first. There's a lot of alienated people there and I heard the City had not collected from this area yet.

"Good.." Iris nodded. More alienated people means less humans. The whole person became calmer and a little bit excited. The number of nucleus will increase again! All she has to do is to wait until Simon got his first ability to teach him how to cultivate his power.

Again. Simon looked at his female tenderly. Fortunately, Alva trusts him so much. She did not complain or question his decision despite the difficulty and danger they're about to face. But still, he explained to her.

"The meat factory is big and will last us many years to consume. We don't know if there are still surviving animals left on Earth, but the body needs meat to survive. In a few months, all these frozen goods will rot and wasted, but now is just a month after the Apocalypse and the power supplies of these factories can still supply the storage, so we need to grab this opportunity to store meat" Simon explained.

"Hmm.." Alva nod her head in understanding. Fortunately Simon thought about it. She can't live without meat and although it's frozen, it's better than nothing.

"Ah, there's still a cannery behind the frozen factory. We'll try our luck there too. Don't be afraid. I'll protect you" Simon squeezed her soft small palm for comfort.

"Not afraid" she stated. But no matter what she say, Simon's image of her is a timid girl.

At 2 o'clock in the afternoon, they arrived infront of the frozen factory. The gate was closed from the inside, probably the normal security of the gate guards, that's why the thousands of production workers were also locked in.

"We will open the door slightly, enough for one or two alienated people to pass and hack them one by one until everyone inside is dead" Simon told her the strategy as he walked down with tang knife and her saber.

"Okay" she nodded in understanding. This strategy is feasible.

"Tell me when you're running out of energy. We'll close the door and rest" concerned about his female, he reminded her.

Although he doesn't want her to experience this kind of dangerous situation, but Alva needs to be strong to survive. Of course he's always with her to protect her, but Alva is not a kind of female who will solely rely on other's protection. He knew that the first time he saw her fight.

"Good" she nodded again. Squeezing his cold hand. This guy is obviously not nervous for himself but for her, but still he let her fight side by side with him and she's thankful for that. "don't worry. I'll be fine. You're here. I'm safe" she assured the anxious male.

Simon sighed heavily before giving her her treasured saber. With a final kiss on her cheek, he forcefully opened the heavy gate slightly.

The originally aimless walking of the alienated people changed to aggressive running towards the gate, and one by one, Alva and Simon started their killing festival