7. Mutual Trust

At night, the whole world was enveloped with darkness. No survivor has the guts to expose their hiding place to the ferocious monsters and hungry humans.

Inside the room of an apartment building, a handsome man was tossing and turning on his bed. There's something wrong with him...it started during lunch when Alva, as she finally introduced herself, sent him some warm food.

The moment she entered, he smelled a sweet scent from her body that made his body excited. He's ashamed of his body's reaction, so he remained seated on the bed.

He's not a pervert person. He's actually very clean both mind and body, but... he's reacting.

Uncomfortable...

What's happening?

He sprang out of the bed as he realized he could see clearly despite the darkness. Even the writing on the clock, he can read.

Thinking of the sharp claws he magically conjured a few days ago, a realization strucked him like a lightning bolt.

Will I become one of them? A monster?

But what's happening to him is obviously different from the transformation of his previous teammates. His mind is clear, and he doesn't smell rotten.

His body is also the same as before, besides the heightened senses and the claws.  Thinking about this, he concentrated on his hand and right that instant, his neat nails transformed into long sharp claws.

He slowly and carefully touch the tip using his other hand but who would have known that these claws we're too sharp and accidentally wounded his finger.

He immediately retracted the claws and observed the previously bleeding finger recover little by little until the wound completely healed without even leaving a scar.

His always steady heart was shaken. He's mutating. That fact is so obvious that he couldn't deny it himself.

What's happening to me?..

•••

Early the next morning, Alva woke up because of the creaking of the door next door. She stood up and opened the door of her room, only to see a leaving back of Simon.

Simon with his newly heightened senses, felt, smelled and heard her breathing. He guiltily walked back and wanted to explain to the girl why he's leaving her.

I can't endanger her..

"Alva. I'm leaving..." he whispered sadly. He hesitated for a while but still said "there's something wrong with my body. I'm afraid I'll be like them too. A monster. It's better to stay away from me"

Alva realized what's happening the moment she stared at his flactuating eyes. One moment it's dark then the following moment it'll turn light.

How could it be so soon?

But looking of his mournful face, she confirmed that he's probably thinking he'll soon turn into a monster.

Simon must be very depressed.

"Umm.." she started. She's still inside the room with the door only slightly open. "You mean like this?" she stretched her jade-like arm and under the surprised eyes of Simon, her fingers transformed into silver steel-like claws.

"You..." Simon breathlessly stared at the cute paw infront of him. Underneath the sharp claws is a tender pink paw!

He did not realize that his attention was diverted, and just woke up after Alva turned it back to normal hand.