T H I R T E E N

The next morning, while I'm having coffee and checking emails, I hear a knock on my door. Tony is standing there with his hands shoved into his pockets. I open the door and let him in, following him down the stairs I offer him a cup of coffee and close my laptop. He takes the coffee and sits with me at the bar.

"So, last night was a bit much, huh?" I ask him, the stranger that I had cried in front of, over something I thought I was over.

"No," he tries.

"It was, you're only in town for a few days. We both know what this is, you shouldn't have to deal with my conflicting emotions."

"Are you pushing me away for you or me?"

"Both," I say honestly, "you live on the other side of the country, and I'm too much right now."

"Friends, then?"

I smile at him, "friends."

We spend the rest of the week going to restaurants and spending time together, as friends. It was for the best. My heart was much too fragile to be starting anything with anyone, but if I was being honest, Noah was under my skin. I had been avoiding him all week. I didn't know what happened the rest of that night, and I didn't want to. I'm sure he had brought her back here and it was the last thing I wanted to think about.

Tonight is Tony's last night in town and his band is playing a show with the guys tonight. I left a little earlier than the guys today, I didn't want to share a cab, not this time. I hadn't even seen Noah since the other night. I knew I couldn't avoid it tonight but I didn't want to be trapped in a car with him.

"Lanes!" Finn shouts from behind me and gives me a big hug.

"I haven't seen you all week," I tell him and hug him back. His hugs are therapeutic and just what I need after the week I had.

"It really has been too long, I'm pretty stoked about Tony's band," he winks at me.

I shake my head, " me too, but that's over."

I suck in a breath when Noah walks in with Tony. Luckily, they are together and Finn thinks the noise is for Tony. He's a good looking man, and he and Noah have similar features, but Noah was beautiful in a way that was hard to describe.

"Do yourself a favor and give him a proper goodbye tonight," Finn whispers in my ear.

I order a shot of Jameson, I think I just might. Tony comes over but Noah keeps his distance, although I catch him looking over occasionally out of the corner of my eye.

"What's going on in there?" He asks tapping a finger on my forehead.

"I have a goodbye present for you, you'll meet me in my apartment after you guys get home?" I ask, I can't help the half grin. He smiles wildly, and I'm pretty sure he gets what I'm insinuating.

"I wouldn't be a proper rebound if I didn't," he grins. Three guys I haven't seen before walk in. One has long hair, another is covered in tattoos like Tony and another has a silly grin on his face. "That's my band, I'll see you later."

I watch him walk away before ordering another shot.

"You've been avoiding me," I hear Noah's low voice in my ear as I am taking the shot of Jameson. I almost choke on the whiskey because I hadn't heard him walk up.

"I don't know what you are talking about," I screw my face up at him. "We live in the same house, how could I avoid you?" I take a drink of my beer and watch him for a response.

"Just know I'm onto you."

"Whatever," I furrow my brows together in consternation.

"Your face is going to get stuck like that."