T W E N T Y O N E

Even though I went to bed at a decent time last night, the sun is high in the sky when I wake up. I check my phone, it's already noon and I'm annoyed with myself for sleeping this late. I order room service and get ready for the day while I wait on my sandwich. When I finish with my lunch I grab my book and head to the pier just a little down the way. I didn't have any plans until I meet my new friend, and I just wanted to be around people.

The sun was warm on my skin as I found a bench to occupy. I open my book and try to focus, but the people milling around are much too loud for me to do anything to watch them. Kids run by while parents chase them, one is crying over a dropped ice cream cone. The carnival rides whir mechanically, and the smell of popcorn invades my senses.

My phone vibrates in my pocket and I pull out my phone, "hello, mother."

"You were supposed to let me know you made it yesterday," she chastises in a loving manner.

"I texted you as soon as I landed," I grin despite myself.

"Well, how is it?"

"I've been here five minutes, so far it's hot and crowded, but I don't think I should judge it just yet," I chuckle into the phone.

"I'm sure you will love it, besides, I would love to visit and I need a free place to stay. So, choose wisely."

"Sure mom, I'll go ahead and move so you'll have somewhere to stay. Even though you can definitely afford to stay here if you wanted to," I shake my head, even though she can't see me.

"Glad we cleared that up, love you!"

"Love you," I say before ending the call.

I spend the rest of the afternoon on the pier, and when the sun starts to get lower in the sky I take myself out to dinner. I take my time getting ready, curling my long dark hair. I put on makeup, because it makes me feel a little bit better. I put on a black bodysuit with wide legged pants and boots. I'm only a mile from the bar, but I get an Uber anyway.

And the traffic is so bad, I wish I had just walked.

I'm over a half hour early, because I'm anxious. It doesn't matter that I've done all of this work, trying to love myself and doing things on my own, I was still anxious. I glance around the bar, but I don't see my new friend so I take a seat at the bar and order a Jameson cocktail to wait.

I order my second drink right before the small brunette finds me. I should have gotten her name last night, but I didn't. She drags me to a table in the back where three guys are sitting. Two of them familiar, one is not.

"I'm Sage, by the way. That is Joakim, my boyfriend, but everyone calls him Jolly. That is Nicholas, and next to him is Jesse."

"It's nice to meet ya'll. I'm Delaney," I reply, my thick southern accent slipping in since I've had two drinks. I take the seat next to Nicholas, "nice to see you again."

"You guys know each other?" Sage asks.

"Kind of, we sat next to each other on the plane," Nicholas offers, his voice impossibly deep.

The five of us sit in our little table, drinking and laughing well into the night. Nick and Jolly are in a band together, and Jesse is also in a band. Sage moved to LA with Jolly five years ago, something tugs at my memory when she tells me this, but I don't think about it too hard. Mostly because I'm more than a little buzzed and having fun with my new friends.

The lights come on, signaling last call and we look around, "I hadn't even noticed it was so late," I say, checking my phone. It was already 3 AM.

"Let's get out of here," Jolly says, helping Sage stand.