Chapter Eighteen

Why couldn't she ever seem to find something suitable to wear when she needed to? Emma sighed and once again shoved the hangers aside, disregarding each dress and outfit as not right. Of course she knew it was because she didn't really want to go through with this day. How did she say goodbye to the only father she'd ever known? How did she go and stand by while his face is locked away forever?

        Emma took a deep breath and once again shoved the hangers aside. This sucked on so many levels, but no matter how badly she didn't want to face the truth it was happening. She would indeed be forced to go through with this day. Even though she'd much rather be doing anything else. Root canal, tooth extraction, lobotomy, literally anything else but say goodbye.

        "Sweetie, the choices aren't going to change no matter how many times you push the hangers around," Cindy said from her perch on the bed. "I still say the black dress with the soft lavender sweater will look very nice. Respectful yet stylish." Cindy sipped her orange juice before making a small noise. "And the black and silver flats, not those boots you always try to pair with everything you own." Cindy shook her head ruefully. "Fun fact, they don't pair with anything."

        "Hey! My black knee length boots do go with everything! They're multi-functional footwear! The lady at the shoe store said they were able to go from day to night without a fuss," Emma defended, completely understanding what her bestie was trying to do.

        "Please Em that woman saw you coming," Cindy teased.

        "You're just mad because I bought the last pair," she said, pulling the black slip dress from the hanger along with the sweater Cindy had suggested. As far as a funeral outfit went, she was right, it would be nice enough.

        Although what did it really matter how she was dressed? No 'perfect' dress would bring Gramps back. Or make this day any less awful. To be completely honest, nothing would. The lump she'd been fighting all morning surged into her throat.

        No, she would not cry. She would remain strong. At least until this was all over, and then she intended to lay in bed and cry for a week.

        The mostly unused doorbell rang throughout the house. Cindy hopped up and headed out of the room. "Get dressed Em, we'll be late if we're not out of here in the next hour or so, and you still need coffee," Cindy said as she disappeared to answer the door.

        She wasn't even going to allow what had happened last night with Cody in the parlor to enter her mind at the moment. She wasn't sure that she could handle it. Emma didn't see it as a mistake, no, just the opposite. But she couldn't allow it to fill her mind because...well, because it seemed wrong somehow. There had to be some cosmic law she'd be breaking to mix something so world altering with something else equally altering but in a sad and devastating way.

        Even though she knew that her grandparents would want her to be happy she wasn't sure that lusting after Cody at the funeral was exactly respectful. Whatever. She'd think about it later. When she was alone, when no one could see her blush and question why.

        Okay. First thing on the list for the day: Get dressed. Emma took a deep steadying breath and headed for the bathroom to dress. She had already had her shower so it was only a matter of slipping into the dress and shoes. The sweater could be added as she left. Cindy planned to do her hair.

        Emma stared into the mirror and froze.

        There behind her, just over her left shoulder was the tall, inky darkness she had seen with Cody the other night. She swallowed hard as she stared at the writhing mass. "Gramps?" Emma swallowed down the lump in her throat. "Is that you?"
The low moaning growl sent a cold shiver rushing through her body. She didn't move, not wanting to send the thing into a frenzy, a lot like a rabid animal. Everyone knew not to make any sudden moves lest you draw attention to yourself.