Chapter Twenty-Five

"I'm telling you man, you can't date my little sister," Tony stated as they continued to carry the boxes that Cindy had brought down from Emma's apartment. The landlord had told her to have Emma clear the space since she hadn't paid her rent again.

        Cody had called the guy and set everything straight. So that's why they were moving her stuff into her house while his Ma and Gran kept her company in the hospital, where she'd been for the last week and a half. The doctor's had stated that she could come home at the end of the week if she kept improving the way she had been.

        Cody didn't care where she was, he'd be there keeping her safe. Hospital room, this place, his place...anywhere. She was his future, and he intended to make certain she was taken care of. He didn't ever want to relive those minutes again when she hadn't been here with him. Just the idea made him a little manic.

        "Ignoring me isn't going to change facts. I've seen the way you are with females. You have far too many one night flings," Tony stated sitting the box marked for the kitchen on the table. "You may be the best damn wing man in Louisiana but I don't feel you have the best intentions towards my dear baby sister."

        Cody snorted. "Tony. I intend to marry her someday. I also plan on having as many children as possible with her and in order to tie her to me in every single way. I will love, and worship the ground she walks on until I die. I want to spend every waking moment making her happy." Cody tossed his hands up. "If that isn't the best intentions then you seriously need to read the big brother handbook from the library," Cody replied and turned to head out to the porch where Cindy was sitting the boxes. "Because really I don't know what the hell you want from me."

        "There it is!" Tony grinned slowly. "Finally! That's what big bubba wanted to hear!" He clapped Cody on the back with a laugh. "Now you can date my sister!"

        Cody snorted and rolled his eyes. "Geez, thanks man. I wouldn't have been able to live with myself had I not had your blessing."

        "You know the sarcasm hurts me and my sensibilities." Tony clutched his chest dramatically. "Okay, so you know Tony can also be a girl's name."

        "I thought Tony was already a girl's name," Cody retorted, with a laugh at his best friend's middle finger salute.

        Cindy laughed from the steps as she carried what appeared to be the last box. "What is he going on about now?"

        "Cody's being mean." Tony pouted, tossing his arm around Cindy's shoulders. "Make him behave!"

        Cody chuckled as he picked up the painting leaning against the rocking chair. He lifted it and looked at the image. His gut clenched hard as he saw William and Ms Beth, much much younger, smiling out at him from the frame. "Holy fuck she is talented," he muttered then stiffened looking at Cindy in apology. "Pardon me."

        She smiled, waving her apology aside. "Meh, when it's true it's true," she shrugged. "Didn't I tell you she is crazy talented."

        Tony leaned closer to inspect the portrait. "Hey! I've seen this picture," he said and pulled a framed photo from one of the other boxes and held it up. He whistled softly. "Baby sis is hella good. It looks exactly like this." He looked at Cindy. "Why doesn't she do this for an actual job?"

        "It's exactly the same," Cody nodded and gazed at the painting. "What made her do this?"

        "I don't know why Tony, insecurity I guess." Cindy's smile fell. "She painted it for William's last birthday. This was her gift to him." She took a step forward and stood with Cody. "As a matter of fact, she didn't finish it all. She said she had some touch ups to do before it'd be done." Cindy hugged herself as she sighed. "Em got the call that same day and never finished it. It still had the drop cloth over it when I took it out. I honestly don't know what to do because..." She allowed her words to trail off. "She hasn't said what she planned to do with it."