Chapter Thirty-Seven

Two days until her wedding and Emma couldn't be happier. Everything was going exactly as Marissa had planned, which honestly the longer she knew her future mother-in-law it made sense. The universe wouldn't dare to contradict the tiny woman once she made her mind up. Emma glanced at Cindy who scrolled across the screen of her cell phone while they drove into the smaller neighborhood.

"It should be right up here," she said distractedly. "There," she pointed at the small split level.

Emma pulled into Hank's driveway and turned the car off. She took a deep breath and picked up the small black and red boutonnière. The black and red roses nestled together bound with silver and white lace and ribbons. It was actually pretty if Emma thought so herself.

"Are you sure about this Em? I mean this guy did accuse you of killing your Grampa."

Emma smiled and nodded. "Absolutely. Cody told me that he and my Gramps were really close once upon a time, and that he felt like he owed Gramps a debt because of some favor Gramps did for him a long time ago." Emma glanced at Cindy. "I honestly thought Cody was going to cry when I suggested my idea."

Cindy shrugged. "Your wedding, your choice. But I'm gonna sit here and look for a place to get lunch."

"Okay, but nothing too spicy okay?" Emma laughed. "My stomach is off today. I don't know what's wrong with me. Maybe I'm coming down with something."

"You're fine. Don't worry." Cindy waved her words away as Emma climbed out of the car. "Just nervous Em, happens to every bride."

That could be one explanation anyway. She bit the inner side of her cheek and pushed the thought away, she was still a few days away from knowing whether or not there would be a tiny unseen guest at the wedding or not. And she refused to allow the thought to form lest she be very disappointed if it turned out to be false. So she focused on the here and now.

Emma got out of the car, bringing the small plastic case with her, pausing to retrieve the cake and six pack of root beer as well. She hadn't questioned when Cody had suggested these things. He's said that Hank would understand the gesture.

She squared her shoulders and headed for the house. Emma knocked and waited, looking at the newly mowed grass. What a pretty yard! The soft bark from inside made her smile. When he opened the door, a medium sized dog was wiggling at his side, whining loudly. Its big head and wide bright brown eyes studied her with eager excitement.

"Sit Con," Hank said, looking at what had to be a very large puppy. Because it took two attempts before the puppy followed the order. Hank smiled at her then. "Emma, it's good to see you." His eyes dropped to the six pack and small round cake. "What's that you got there?"

"Oh! This is something Cody said might soften you up for the favor I needed to ask you to do for me," she admitted and offered him the food and soda.

Hank chuckled. "Ah he did did he? Like a suck up rookie," he muttered, taking her offering and nodding toward her. "May as well come on in. Con won't bite, probably lick you to death though." He chucked and nudged the puppy back.

"He's adorable!" Emma scratched the pit bull mix pup behind his ears, giggling softly when his tail went wild, thumping the floor madly. After a moment his whole body was trembling with pent up energy, before his long tongue made a swipe at her cheek. She laughed and scratched behind his ears.

Hank shut the door and led Emma to the small but clean kitchen. "This way, you want a slice? These cakes are so delicious," he offered and placed it on the counter and deposited the root beer in the fridge. "Need a drink?"

Emma shook her head. "No thanks," she smiled. This house seemed empty somehow. She glanced around and saw a few stuffed animals sitting here and there. Hm.