4- THE PROPOSAL

"What about her?" Arjun asked.

"Isn't everything in this marriage, about her, Arjun?" I scoffed.

"Is it? I thought it was our marriage!" He said.

"Was it? From day one she was there Arjun. When you were constantly searching for her, hiring detectives to find her out, stalking her social media you have even stalked her on LinkedIn.... And now you are all of a sudden telling me it was our marriage!" No matter how much I didn't wanted to show him but I was hurt.

"I made a mistake Diya! Ignoring your was the worst thing I could do." He said, trying to sound genuine.

"Are you making fun of me by saying all that!" I was getting angrier.

"No! Why would I?" He said.

"All we have to do is to pretend in front of family! It's Dad's 60th birthday Diya! Try to look good and behave like a wife would." "Do you remember these lines."
I asked.

"I don't like you and that's not a secret but your presence in the business parties is important! This party is important Diya! Try to mix up with the ladies and don't show your middle class attitude there"
I said, remembering.

"You didn't need to fast Diya! We are just a pretend-couple. Ye karwa chauth ka natak mujhe dikhane ke liye mat karo! Sirf sunder dikho aur formality Karo taki dad question na kare!"(Don't do this karwa chauth drama for the show. Just get dressed up and do the formalities so that dad doesn't ask questions)
He wasn't looking me in the eyes.

"Papers pe sign kar dijiye Arjun! Aap bhi jante hai mein jo Maan Rahi hi galat nahi hai!" I said. (Just sign the papers Arjun! You know what I am asking isn't wrong)

"I know Diya! But the moment you left that house..... I.... I have never felt so lonely in my entire life." He said. "I am ready to do anything to get you... To win you back!"
"And... And... I know I have said so many things but that was in the first year of the marriage.... I was stubborn about my feelings for her.... And have I ever disrespected you ever after that..." He was giving explanations.

"Arjun!! Do you hear yourself?" I asked.

"I am sorry Diya!" His voice sounded like a plead.

"Don't force me to go to court!" I said.
And his demeanor changed. His eyes looked cold, this was Arjun I knew! Cold, stone like and hateful towards me.

"Try! Try going to court... You know it will end up in my favour... Go ahead Diya!" He said.

"Is it about Bauji's will!" I asked after thinking for a while.

"You think I will tell you that I want you back because of some fucking will?" He was bitter.

"Bauji ne koi condition rakhi hai?" I asked.(did dad put some conditions?)

"Oh fuck you Diya! Itna chota samajhti ho mujhe?" He asked. (You think so low of me?)

"Agar koi bhi reason nahi hai and still you are not signing the papers then I will see you in the court Arjun!" (If you have no reason)I know he will never agree to go to court. He was a Punj, his name meant everything for him... His name meant society, class, dignity and power. Going to the court for a marriage divorce will stain his name and Arjun would never tolerate it.

"I will sign the papers!" He said the moment I got up to leave after telling him my decision.

"But I have one condition Diya!" He said looking into my eyes.

"More like a proposal!"

There was something in those eyes that showed determination... Determination of not letting this go.... Determination that tells me that he is upto something.
He looked at me like he wasn't just looking at my face or my eyes or my body but like he was looking into my soul and trying to find one weak thread which he would pull and I would break and agree to go with him. He kept staring at me for a couple of minutes or at least I felt like it was a couple of minutes and when I couldn't take it anymore I asked

"What do you want Arjun?"

"Go on a date with me! Just one dinner and I shall set you free!" He said, calmly

"No!" I declined.

"It's just one date Diya! And I will sign the God damned papers. Mein tumhe wo de dunga Jo tumhe chahiye... All I want is to spend some time with you..." He said.(I will give you whatever you want)

"Why?" I was surprised to say the little.
"For seven years we live like strangers in the same room. You never looked at me in the eyes.... You hated everything aboute and suddenly you want to spend time with me! What happened Arjun? What changed?"

"You said you loved me Diya! And now you can't stand me for a second... You tell me what changed?" He questioned me back.

He was right... I loved Arjun.... All it took me one look atbhis picture that was sent to me on the email and I fell for that smile. His eyes were so vibrant and beautiful. Though I wanted to meet him before our marriage, I wanted to talk for the whole night and not disconnect the phone even after saying bye for a hundred times. Send gifts and plan a little trips to eachother's cities to give surprises... But nothing of that sorts happened.

"You changed me Arjun! You changed my love into hate when I saw you with..." I couldn't complete my sentence because he cut me off

"I never did that Diya! I never did what you think I did! I could be many things... I am many things Diya but I am not cheater." He said firmly.

"Yes! You never cheated on Aarohi atleast." That name left a bitter taste in my mouth.

"You are misunderstanding! Just give me one chance!" He begged.

"No! I just want a divorce Arjun!" I said again.

"Go on a date with me once and I will sign the papers!" He said getting up and adjusted the winter jacket he was wearing. "Mein tumhare call ka wait karunga!"  He bent down to kiss me near my lips. My stopped for a second. And I know I can't give his a chance because if I did I will fall again. And I can't do that to myself.

I took our my phone and called my brother "Dada! He said no again!"

"Let's take it to the court!" My brother said.

________________________

Arjun is a bitch! Tell me what do you think should Diya agree for the date. Why did Arjun asked for a date. Do you think he really is in love with diya.