Chapter 6

Jana invited me over for dinner, during which she mentioned having a favor to ask. I thought she'd ask me to babysit Bambi again, but instead, she said she's meeting Nick this weekend and this time, she would like both Bambi and I to come.

"Does he know about Bambi?" I asked, confirming if the guy she was dating was aware of her son.

"Yes, he actually wanted to meet Bambi. I think it's the perfect time. Since we've been talking for a while and are now officially dating, I want to make sure Bambi is comfortable with us."

"Alright, then count me in," I agreed, picking up on her concern about us meeting Nick.

"Thanks, Cali!" she said with a smile, and we kept on eating.

After dinner at Jana's, I went back to my apartment and lay down in bed. It had been over a week since I last saw the guy in the hoodie and I couldn't stop thinking about Domino, but there was nothing I could do right now. I called his secretary and told her about seeing him that day, but she insisted Domino was still on his business trip. I couldn't believe her as I clearly saw Domino. Was he hiding from me? If so, I needed to know what he was up to.

I pulled out my phone and searched for information about Domino Vasquez. Several articles came up, and I started reading them, hoping to learn something new. There, I discovered that Domino had been in a car accident a year ago, resulting in the deaths of two passengers.

As I scrolled through more articles, I didn't find much else. Feeling disappointed, I gave up. Maybe I just needed to wait for his secretary to confirm so I could talk to him in person and get some answers.

On the weekend of that same week, as Jana had planned, we were meeting Nick. I dressed casually, being mindful not to draw attention away from Jana while also keeping a low profile for myself.

We arrived on time and saw a tall man holding a bouquet. He wore a red shirt and stood out because of his face mask. It was distinct, somehow familiar. Suddenly, it hit me—wasn't he the same guy I saw at Mino's office last week, wearing a hoodie?

"Hey, Nick!" Jana greeted the man as we approached.

"Hi, Jana. These are for you," he replied, handing Jana the bouquet of flowers.

"Who is he, Mom?" Bambi interrupted.

"Nick. This is Bambi and my friend Cali," Jana introduced us quickly. I couldn't help but stare at him. I knew it was him.

"Hello, I'm Bambi."

"Hi Bambi!" Nick said, smiling at him.

"And here's my favorite Auntie, Cali," Bambi said introducing me but my mind was elsewhere.

Jana noticed it and called out, "Earth to Cali."

"Oh, sorry," I said, trying to refocus. I glanced at him and he was also looking at me. "I'm Cali. Nice to meet you, Nick?" I hesitated, trying to recall his name.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you, Cali," he greeted me, his eyes smiling beneath the mask, though I couldn't see his face. If he was Nick, then why did his eyes resemble Domino's? Was I mistaken? Was he an entirely different person?

"Do you like my mom?" Bambi asked out of the blue.

Nick chuckled, and before he could answer, Jana intervened, calling out to Bambi.

"I was just curious," Bambi said with a slight pout. "By the way, what's with the mask?" he asked, his curiosity piqued.

"I'm allergic to dust, so I couldn't really take this off, especially outside," Nick explained.