Chapter 15

Looking back at my life choices, I'm proud to say that moving to Australia for work five years ago was the right choice. Until now, I can still remember the tough times and hard work I put in.

When I got to Australia, I quickly started a job at a hospital doing administrative work. But I wanted to work as a nurse there, so I decided to study while working. Luckily, I was granted a year's worth of credit, thereby getting my nursing degree in just two years.

I promised my best  friend Jana I'd be at her wedding, so I went home the next year. But soon after, I came back to Australia to continue my work and studies.

Upon completing my studies, I began working as a nurse at the same hospital where I initially worked in administration. My coworkers were supportive, and I found a good work-life balance there.

If you're asking whether I have stress-free work there, to be honest, there isn't any job that's entirely stress-free. There are always challenges that come my way, but I've learned to see them as opportunities to grow and it has changed how I perceive work.

Overall, my time in Australia has been incredibly rewarding, and I have enjoyed every moment of it. I was able to explore new places, pick up hobbies, and learn more about myself.

I was lost in thoughts when the flight attendant announced that we'd landed. I checked my watch and saw we were just on time.

As I stepped off the plane, I felt a gust of fresh air and smelled the comforting scent of home. It felt so good to be finally back in a place I know.

As I walked to the airport lobby, I heard a familiar voice called to me, "Auntie Cali!" Although he's now a teenager and his voice has changed, I could still hear echoes of the little kid I used to tease. It was Bambi!

"You've grown up so fast!" I said, noticing that he was now standing as tall as me.

"I missed you, Auntie!" he said, giving me a hug. "By the way, there's Mom!" he added as he pulled away, pointing to Jana sitting in the lobby seat, currently breastfeeding her baby. Nick was seated beside her.

Bambi and I walked over to them, and as we approached, Jana spotted me, her smile widening. She immediately stood up, carrying her baby.

"Is this my favorite niece?" I teased, reaching out to play with the baby. "You're such a cute little baby, Fiona!" I added.

Fiona smiled at me, seemingly thrilled to finally see me. I hadn't expected her to be this adorable in person, looking quite different from the photos Jana sends me. And yes, to confirm, Fiona is Jana and Nick's daughter.

"She must really like you," Jana said. "Do you want to hold her?" she asked, and I nodded eagerly. Now I was cradling Fiona, and seeing her sweet face melted my heart.

"Look at you," I cooed, still playing with her tiny fingers.

"It's good to see you again, Cali," Nick said, smiling at me while I continued to play with baby Fiona.

"It's good to see you too, Nick. I think you should consider making more babies as cute as this one," I teased playfully.

"Cali!" Jana called out, her tone slightly embarrassed.

"I miss you, bestie," I told her, attempting to mimic Izzy's playful tone from before.

"I miss you too!" she replied, pinching my cheek. She couldn't hug me properly at the moment since I was holding baby Fiona.

After spending some time playing with Fiona, we headed straight to the car and got in. Nick drove us home.

"How was Australia? You didn't come back home after my wedding." Jana asked from the front seat.