Chapter 8

I went to work as usual today, but despite wanting to leave, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I want to be professional and not let personal problems affect my work. Besides, Jana recommended me, and I don't want to make her look bad. It could reflect poorly on her. After all, she's still my friend... or is she? The uncertainty saddened me.

Jana and I haven't talked since the incident, and I haven't seen her around the apartment building. Occasionally, Bambi comes by my place, wondering why we haven't been hanging out. I just mention that work has been keeping me busy. But truth is, every day after work, I head straight home, have dinner, and sometimes watch TV before bed. It's pretty much my routine. Bambi seemed a bit disappointed that day. He even brought up his upcoming birthday and hopes we can celebrate together. I assured him not to worry, promising that I'll make time for it.

After the event, Mino disappeared for a while, busy with work I suppose, as I sometimes saw him on TV doing interviews. We didn't keep in touch much, just chatting when we bumped into each other. So, when his secretary contacted me about meeting for lunch, I was surprised. I didn't expect it. Still, I agreed to meet up.

"It was nice to see you again, Cali. Sorry, I had been busy lately." Mino said as we started eating. We are at the same restaurant where we usually eat.

"Yeah, I thought so. I saw you on TV the other day," I replied between bites of ramen.

"Has it been better?" Mino asked.

"Yeah! Better than before, you don't seem to stutter anymore," I teased.

"Good to hear. And what about you? How's life? How's work?"

"Well, I'm stuck in the same old routine. Patching up employees and if there's no one in need, I'm just passing time in the office," I answered.

"Must be relaxing when you're just passing time," he joked.

"Not really," I replied, giggling a bit.

We sat in silence for a while until he spoke again. "So, um, there's this girl that I really like, but she doesn't seem to like me," he said out of the blue.

"How could she not like you?" I asked, surprised.

"I don't know, I just get the feeling she doesn't," he replied.

"Is she successful as successful as you?"

"I think so. She seemed pretty humble, keeping a low profile."

"And have you told her that you like her?"

"We've never talked about it but I assumed she knew," he said.

"Hmm, well, if she isn't aware and you're just assuming that she is, that's crucial. It could be that she's just not into you, or maybe you're out of her league. I mean, look at you – handsome, rich, young CEO, practically a celebrity," I joked, trying to lighten the mood. "But really, it's not best to assume. Just ask her."

"So, which one is it? Do you think I'm out of your league, or you're just not into me?" Mino's question caught me off guard.

I almost spilled what I was eating. "H-huh?" I stammered, unsure if I heard him correctly.

He chuckled softly, his eyes sincere as he continued, "Cali, I tried to make it obvious, but you seem to have not noticed. I have really taken a liking to you. Ever since that day at the aquarium, you've been on my mind and meeting you again felt like fate was giving me a second chance." His words hung in the air, leaving me utterly speechless.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about Mino. He's a great friend, kind and caring, and I appreciate that about him. But whenever I look at him, I can't help but see Dom. It feels a bit awkward, to be honest.