32

She didn't say anything, just gave a sigh as I watched her scroll on her phone, looking at literally nothing and checking her socials over and over again.

I knew that if she wouldn't say anything first, the awkwardness would just settle among the two of us.

So, being the girl I am, I decided to talk to her first. I sat up on the kitchen island, swinging my legs back and forth as I looked at her.

I know she could feel me looking at her. I could just see it, her head very slightly turned to briefly look at me, then look back.

"Do you like Jay?" I asked her, the conversation unfolding first. She immediately put her phone away, looking over at me with an annoyed but confused look.

"As in?" She wanted me to clarify, and I thought it was obvious what I was insinuating, but nevermind, it is Hyojin.

"Romantically, do you wanna be with him?" I reiterated, crossing my arms and looking at her intently, a sharp look in my eyes.

She timidly looked up at me, unsure whether she really wants to answer this question, her eyes gazed to the ground, and I just gave a sigh.

"I know you do, and I know you think that you won't ever be with him, but just don't give up." I told her, feeling actually bad for her.

Hyojin looked up at me, wondering what the hell I was talking about. She probably thought I was willingly letting her hit on Jay - and to be honest, that's exactly what I was doing because after all, it is a contract that binds us two together.

"You want me to go after your boyfriend?" Hyojin sounded as if she was disgusted with me.

"I mean, you already are." I chuckled to myself as she just looked at me, her eyes slightly furrowed and with an irritated gaze on her face.

I pressed my lips together - well - she didn't find that one funny.

"Listen, I want to tell you something, but you have to promise you will keep your mouth shut." I gave a sigh as she looked at me, her gaze slowly becoming more intrigued and interested.

".. Okay.." Hyojin looked at me, unsure, but listening intently.

"I'm not really with Jay, we aren't actually boyfriend-girlfriend. We're pretending for the sake of his father, so Jay can inherit his clinic." I told her, and her furrowed brows softened, looking at me with a slight hint of shock.

"Wait what?! So you two are pretending????" Her eyes widened as I gave a light smile, nodding my head.

"Yeah, it's true, me and Jay have known each other for years, but we hate each other really. Or so I think anyways." I said the end part a little quieter, "I get something out of this contract, and so does he."

Hyojin seemed a little stunned for words, but regardless, the rosy colour on her cheek returned.

"So what - how long is this supposed to last? And how does this contract work even??" Hyojin smiled at me brightly, a beam of light radiating off her cheek.

"Mm, he said for around three months, and all it is, is a mere status. He calls me his girlfriend in front of family and friends, and I go with it." I explained to her as she nodded, widening her mouth.

"Oooh, okay. So you don't like him?" She asked, hope sparkling in her eyes.

I thought for a second, do I like him? I mean, I certainly don't hate him - thaaat much - anymore. But do I like him?

"No, he doesn't like me either, so you're all safe." I gave her a reassuring smile, somewhat, I felt a little empty inside, "So, go for it, make your moves, but just don't tell him - or anyone, I told you." I smiled.

"You're so cool Sarang, I see why his family accepted you so easily." She grinned, finally feeling comfortable with me.

Well, I did something good, and though it had a positive outcome, I felt a little weird and conflicted with my own self. 

Did I seriously do the right thing? And why do I feel as if I've just shot myself in the chest?

I gave a chuckle from her words, looking to my swinging legs off the counter.

"I'm only trying to help, just promise me you won't tell Jay, or anyone." I looked up at her as she nodded her head vigorously.

She pulled her pinky finger out, signalling for me to lock it in. I gave a small laugh at her childishness, seriously, how could Jay hate her?

I sealed the promise in with my pinky, Jay coming in the room just as we did that. He looked at us, furrowing his brows in confusion.

"What are you two up to.." Jay looked at me, only at me, not even acknowledging Hyojin.

"Nothing." Hyojin jeered childishly, so innocent with her beady, round eyes.

Jay looked at me, as if to confirm her words. And I just looked into his eyes without any expression on my face, shrugging.