13. Vampire? Love? Reborn?

JAMES SUPAMONGKON

As he recited his poem, his voice and gaze felt oddly familiar, as if I had known him in a past life. I entertained the whimsical notion that perhaps he was a vampire in that bygone era, and I, having perished, was reborn solely to be reunited with him. Lost in my reverie, my trance was abruptly interrupted by the shrill ringing of my phone.

"Excuse me," I murmured, hastily retrieving my device. "James! My mother is in coma," came Yim's frantic voice, tears and panic evident in every syllable. "What? Yim! I'll be right there, hold on!" I assured him before ending the call.

Turning to Net, who was beside me on the grass, I urgently pleaded, "Net, could you please call Tutor? He helped Yim before, and now Yim's mother is in  coma." With a nod of understanding, Net rose to his feet, ready to assist.

"Okay, let's go" he agreed, determination etched across his features as we hurriedly made our way to offer our support.

Later....

As I hurried into the hospital, my heart pounding with worry, my eyes scanned the crowded waiting area until they landed on Yim. Slumped on a bench, his usually lively face was clouded with despair. "Yim!" I exclaimed, rushing over to him. "Are you alright? What's wrong?" I wrapped my arms around him, but his response was chilling.

He didn't return the embrace, his body stiff and unresponsive, like a machine lacking its usual warmth. "James, I don't know what to do," he muttered, his voice devoid of emotion.

I gently pulled away, looking into his eyes, searching for a glimmer of hope. "Yim, you have to hold on. You can't let yourself fall apart," I urged, my hands trembling as I cupped his cheeks.

His words pierced the air, heavy with anguish. "Someone tried to kill my mom, James. I can't bear it," he confessed, tears threatening to spill over.

I squeezed his hands tightly, offering whatever comfort I could muster, silently praying for strength in the face of such unfathomable pain.

YIM PRARINYAKORN

It had been 20 minutes of James trying to comfort me, but my mind was fixated on a different topic altogether. How had my mom even fallen? Our rooftop's wall was so long and sturdy. Then, out of nowhere, a guy appeared and uttered, "You should go back home, Yim," with a cold voice.

I glanced over and recognized him as the person I had bumped into earlier. With an angry voice, I retorted, "What are you doing here?" However, before I could finish, James interjected, "Yim, he's the person who gave you the blood bag."

Surprised by James's revelation, I looked back at the person, who then introduced himself, "I'm Tutor, a doctor." And then, unexpectedly, he added, "And  a vampire, your lover Tutor Koraphat," but oddly, he seemed to be speaking these words in his mind.

Confused by his strange behavior, I instinctively delved into his thoughts, realizing I had the ability to read people's minds by looking into their eyes. "Thanks," I muttered, averting my gaze to the floor momentarily before locking eyes with him once more.

"I should be thankful to you for keeping your promise to be reborn for me," Tutor confessed silently in his mind.

Perplexed by his cryptic words, I struggled to comprehend their meaning before finally deciding to break the tension by announcing, "I'm going to my house," as I rose from my seat.

As I was about to leave, he suddenly halted me, his fingers wrapping around my wrist with a firm grip. No words escaped his lips, but his eyes seemed to convey a depth of emotion that words couldn't capture.

In the silence between us, I sensed a torrent of thoughts swirling in his mind, thoughts that whispered of a connection spanning lifetimes. "How can I explain to you that you were my first love in your past life?" his inner voice seemed to echo within me before he released my hand, leaving me bewildered.

"Mhm?" I stammered, confusion etched across my features as his words hung in the air, unspoken aloud.

"Nothing," he dismissed with a casual shrug, his hand retreating into the sanctuary of his pocket, veiling his vulnerability.

Amidst the ensuing exchange between James and Tutor, a subtle tension lingered, a silent plea hidden beneath the surface of Tutor's composed facade. "Yim, I'll drop you!" James offered warmly, his smile masking the undercurrents of unspoken desires.

Yet, before James could whisk me away, Tutor interjected, his voice betraying a hint of urgency as he diverted James's attention. "James, you should go with Net. I can drop Yim," he suggested, his tone masking the plea echoing silently within his mind.

"Yim, please say you will go with me! God, please!" his unspoken entreaty reverberated within my consciousness, a clandestine confession that unraveled the mysteries shrouding his enigmatic demeanor.

...........................

As I settled into my seatbelt, I casually remarked to Tutor, "By the way, you owe me a phone case." Taken aback, he responded, "Why's that?" With a sigh, I explained, "Well, when I accidentally bumped into you, my phone screen decided to give up the ghost. But I'm not in the market for a new screen; I need a sturdy case to prevent future mishaps."

Without missing a beat, Tutor nodded and promised, "Okay, I'll get you one tomorrow." And with that settled, he focused on driving.

However, as I pondered his abruptness, a curious thought crossed his mind: "Why is he being so rude? I expected him to be as sweet, soft, and friendly as he was back in 1880."

"Don't expect me to be soft and sweet; that's not who I am, okay!" I retorted, reclining my head against the seatback. Glancing back at him, I couldn't shake off the feeling that something peculiar was happening.

Intriguingly, his voice echoed in my mind, "Wait, did he just read my mind? Being a vampire, I can't read minds, so how can he? Anyway, it was just a coincidence."

Startled by the unexpected intrusion into my thoughts, I blurted out, "What?" only to realize that I had spoken aloud, inadvertently revealing my newfound ability.

Caught off guard, Tutor's gaze sharpened, demanding an explanation. Quick on my feet, I diverted the conversation, blurting out, "I mean, um... change the song!" Thankfully, he complied, shifting the playlist, but the tension lingered in the air, leaving me baffled and uneasy.

As the journey continued, I couldn't shake off the nagging question: why had he mentioned being a vampire? Was it a slip of the tongue or a cryptic hint at something more profound? With each passing mile, the mystery deepened.

•~• Late post hehe btw Eid Mubarak! •~•