𝙎𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙉

PAIGE BUECKERS

I'm sitting alone in my own booth inside the corner cafe. My hands oily as I wipe the residue onto the napkin in front of me reading off the book Azzi gave me to give me some motivation for this season. My eyes move quick along the page before looking up around me in hopes to see the girl I've been sitting here waiting for.

Though technically Kaia might not come. I didn't text her if she could do something today, only because I knew her game was today. And after every game Kaia, Saya, Sierra and Emma come to the cafe to celebrate even if they do in fact lose (they rarely ever do). It's something I've picked up on throughout the last few days.

Every other day I force Nika or Azzi to accompany me to the cafe in hopes to see her. I could text her, but the chances of seeing her are more exciting.

"Get off you are a sweaty mess." Sierra pushes Kaia off her. Her tongue sticking out in a expression of her disgust. Poking Kaia at her side as the girl winks at her playfully.

"You know you love it." Kaia replies, placing her hand gently on the back of Saya who was only now entering the cafe. Kaia gently lead the girl further into the cafe trying to find a table that wasn't already vacant.

Kaia wrapped her arm around Saya's waist pulling the girl into her side as she muttered something in her ear.

Had I missed something? Were her and Saya a thing and I just completely missed it? Or were they just extra affectionate. I knew Kaia's love language was physical touch, but I liked to think I was always on the receiving end of that.

" Paige?" I turn to face the girls, Emma being out in front looking at me with her head slightly tilted to the side. Not hiding the disgust on her face as soon as I came into eye-line.

I knew Emma didn't like me. She didn't hide it, she made sure I knew she didn't like me. The day after me and Kaia got into the massive fight I had bumped into Emma in the halls, and in front of many students that surrounded us she yelled at me that I was stupid bitch and she hopes nothing but the worst in life for me and that I shouldn't be shocked if I get benched for the rest of the season after she's done with me.

I was already quite tall, though Emma herself was also a tall individual. So you can imagine how it felt to be grabbed by an enraged Emma threatening to break every bone in your body. She had the aggression of a basketball player, her reasons of not being one I will never understand.

"Hi, Emma." I wave slowly, trying to pull the sweetest smile I possibly could. Emma waved her friends off into a different direction, pushing Kaia further into Saya as they moved further from my table, deeper into the cafe.

"Are you waiting for someone?" Her voice insincere as she took a seat across from me anyway. Arms crossed over the table leaning into it making sure her voice could reach me clearly amongst the chatter.

"Look, Paige I don't know what the fuck you are trying to do but you can't keep fucking with Kaia. She's happy, she's actually healthy again." I knew what she meant when she said that. It hurt to even think about the times where I would notice the hollowness in Kaia's face or her lack of energy in the field. Hearing that she was better now brought relief, but I know I wasn't any help in that.

"You hurt her. I think we both know Kaia well enough to know she can never say no. Specifically she can never say no to you. I don't care what you think your intentions are Bueckers. But if you hurt her again I will break your fucking ankles with my bare hands, alright?" I nod quickly, smacking my lips together at the saliva that started build up in my mouth. I knew better to just close my mouth when Emma was talking, not until she addressed me at the very least.

"Are you stupid or something? I need words Bueckers."

"Yes. Yes I won't hurt her again." Emma left mid sentence making sure to nudge me roughly as she walked past towards her own table.

I turned around to see Kaia already looking my way, a small smile placed onto her pink lips as she waved at me through batted eyelashes. God she's so pretty.

No matter what I did, no matter how many lives I could live.

I will never deserve a girl as special as Kaia Jacobs.

____________________________

Kk and I were doing our own one on one practicing. Doing simple 1v1 training, Kk being the one guarding me.

"So what's going on with you and Jacobs." I pull a confused face, trying to act natural as if I hadn't been questioning that myself.

"Girl, stop acting like you ain't looking for every time she comes in to watch our practices." Kk smirks, passing me the ball with a stronger force.

"It's nothing." The lie coming quicker out of my mouth before I can take it back. How could I say that when she hasn't left my mind for even a second. That's far from nothing.

"Sure, Paige." Kk snickers, dribbling the ball slowly. My focus wasn't currently on getting the ball or scoring another 3 from the arch. Kaia was all that I can ever think about. What she was doing? How her day was, I wanted to hear her voice. I wanted to hear her tell my every last detail to the food she had eaten today.

I didn't know why I couldn't admit that there was something between us whether that be as friends or not.

"Maybe i'm just talking to her for media attention." It was supposed to come off as a joke, but the way it slide off my tongue with a certain sharpness. It did not sound like something to laugh at.

We hear the doors shut with an abrupt force. The handles rattling at the sudden impact. I watch as a shadow slowly descends from the frosted windows.

"What the hell..." I mutter under my breath passing the ball back towards Kk.

"When are you just gonna admit you like her?" I shake my head, not hiding the smile that crept across my lips pulling at the crevice of my mouth until it pushed against the apple of my cheeks.

"Didn't know you were that down bad Paige."

Neither did I.

author:
i've realised i'm moving too fast with their development. i love making them hate each other... so be prepared for the next few chapters.