𝙁𝙄𝙁𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉

PAIGE BUECKERS

Even if I played thousands of games I don't think the nerve wracking feeling of stepping onto the court will ever disperse. I've come to this conclusion as I sit in the locker room with eyes closed focusing on the smooth rhythm of the music that blasted in my ears. Trying to think of anything other than that singular moment where I am no longer on that court with just my team and me. That there's thousands of eyes and cameras circling me watching every step and move I lay down, waiting for that split second for me to fail.

"Paige, let's go. Louisville is waiting to get shown up." Aubrey cups her hand into mine, pulling me to a stand. I nod in response, too far in my own thoughts to form words.

We run into the stadium, screams and shrieking echoing against the large arena. Fans alike waving with their signs from every direction in a crazed fashion. Smiles and cheers as they chanted our names. Within the thousands of people in the crowd I was looking for a very specific person. One who I knew would most definitely be napping her way through the game. And there from the sidelines I spot a very awake and excited Kaia. Who wore the Uconn basketball shirt and clapped her hands with pride as her eyes scanned the long line of players that filed in.

Her brown eyes put to a stop. Pulling a smile across her face. With that small act alone was all the reassurance I needed. Knowing that she was somewhere in the crowd. Amongst the many present people her presence was all I needed. The silent comfort she held even if she had just sat there watching... or asleep. Kaia was there.

Tip off was starting as both teams made their way to the court. We stood at the jump ball circle, all players crouched waiting for the moment the ball is thrown in the air and awaited possession by either us or the Cardinals.

I watch as the ball is thrown. Gaining control the ball was quick to move into Kk's possession. Her speed with the ball unmatched as she reared the arc. Moving behind her, switching the ball into my hands as I dribbled along the arc scoring just off the lane line.

It was a different thrill. The chemistry and teeth chattering anticipation as the ball swirled the rim. A pinching fantasy that no amount of shock could awake me from. Each buzz and blare from the court is what kept the excitement in me alive. A defiance that gave my name more definition than the letters that made it.

Every game was a reminder of why I chose basketball in the first place.

I turned to face the crowd. As if on instinct my eyes found their way to Kaia. To my surprise she was there still brimmed with a bright smile, so infectious it made it harder for me not to return even in the moments of seriousness.

Her aura alone replaced the crowd surrounding. Like it was just me on the court and her in the stands. Even if she didn't know it, she is what drives me to be better.

________________________________

The game had ended us winning with 86 and Cardinals with 62. Victory was shown through the bright faces even in the tiredness of our bodies. We all stood in the centre of the court cheering and dancing as we became one step closer to the grand finals.

The stands emptied and the only people left came walking down the steps to congratulate our achievements. We returned to the sidelines, filling our throats with the much needed hydration we were dried from.

And as always they stood in a huddle clapping their hands in gratitude. But this time with seemingly genuine smiles and cheers. Walking towards us with arms opened not minding the sweat our uniforms sat in.

I see Kaia far too indulged in her conversation with Kk. Her hand placed around the freshman's shoulders as they erupted into an abyss of laughter. A melody far too contagious to not reciprocate. Seeing Kaia smiling, looking so happy made winning only a small part of my day.