𝙁𝙊𝙐𝙍𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉

KAIA JACOBS

I continued to question if my instincts to give us another chance was a good one. Or was it just me missing her too much to say no.

But as we walked, in a hushed chatter it felt right. It felt okay. But not enough for me to completely forgive.

"We can't let Nika or Azzi know this worked. I'll be damned if I let Nika think she was the reasoning behind this." Paige laughed, nodding her head in agreement. Even though Nika is partially the reason of this.

"Yeah and I will not hear the end of it from Azzi. We already talk about you enough." My ears peeked at this. Heartstrings tugged at the mention of my name being a daily topic between the two best friends.

"You've been talking about me a lot, hm? Bueckers?" Paige opened her mouth to speak only to close into gritted teeth as she shook her head slowly, dismissing my question.

"Wow didn't know I had that much effect on you." I say jokingly. I never realise just how easy it is to talk to Paige. The comfort I have found only with her. A safe haven that I couldn't bear without. A consistency of back and forth debate if I needed her, if I was better off without her. Yet even when I say I am, i'm not.

"Shut up, we actually be talking shit about you." Paige shrugs in playful manner. A small smile framing itself onto those perfectly arrayed teeth.

"Damn, I knew it." I always find myself letting go, the worries and anxieties easing off my skin with every minute I spend in her presence. There was something so distinctive about the aura Paige Bueckers held. One that only uniquely matches her. A gravitating need to know her, know more. Magnetic ambiance only she carried. It never hit me how much of an impact she has on me. Only now as I find myself staring up at her in complete awe. As if someone had winded me to the point of breathlessness.

She allows me to fall deeper into the void of endearment. And I allow myself even as I try to resist.

"Here, I think this is the one." Paige points to the light pink sign, painted in cursive 'madam cupcakes' all in an off white colouring. Urgency filled our steps. No time being wasted stepping into the small bakery where a small woman stood in an icing covered apron with flour veiled fingers.

"Hi we are here to pick up an order for Nika Muhl. I think it's a vanilla sponge cake?" I say, handing the woman the crinkled ticket. She nods sweetly, heading into the back to carry out a large cake box.

"Thank you." Paige adds, insistent on carrying the box, walking out of the bakery with a new profound smile on our faces. One that wasn't there when we left.

"Alright, pretend we hate each other." Paige says with a nod with her hand on the handle.

"Who says I don't already?" I laugh, pushing past her, Paige entering a few seconds after me with a suppressed smile.

"Here you go birthday girl." Paige placed the box into the centre of the table, returning to her seat across me. My eyes in desperate attempts to avoid her unmet gaze. Pulling my attention towards Emma as she stared at me silently reading my face as if she'd find something out of my blatant expression.

"How did it go?" Emma mutters quietly, observant of the blond opposite us who had been to involved with her conversation with Nika, who most definitely was asking her the same question.

"How did what go?" Brows knitted. The laughter bubbling in my chest compressing into my gut. Acting oblivious to her queries.

"You and Paige? Did you talk?" Emma shuffled her chair closer, leaning into me as if she was waiting for a highly anticipated secret.