𝙎𝙄𝙓𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉

KAIA JACOBS

I stood in the elevator in complete silence. Only noise coming from the slight rustle in the shopping bags as they crinkled against the plastic. I mentally ran through my mind the list of snacks everyone had specifically asked for.

Kk wanted to throw a movie night and had asked me to be the snack runner. Currently it is 7pm and I was meant to be walking into her dorm at 6pm.

Though as I'm nearing the dorms, my feet slowed in pace. A harsh beating sped in my chest, a continues rhythm that felt as if it was moving against my ribs. My knuckles clutched the bags tighter, nails digging deep into my palms until moon crescent scars formed along the once smooth skin.

A nervous breathes falls messily from my mouth. Only moments before I knock on the door I muster a small smile, letting my body fall loose.

"KAIA, finally girl I was starting to get hungry." Kk pulls me into a side hug, grabbing the food from my hands and placing it into the centre of the small mattress fort that had been made. Room darkened to every corner except by the light produced from the screen. Illuminating the space perfectly.

The whole basketball team was quick to dig their way through the bags, wasting no time to open each one with no seconds spared.

"Yeah guys it was really no trouble at all." I say with a light chuckle as they continued to stuff their faces with lollies and popcorn.

"Thank you, Kaia." The girls replied in unison with food puffing their cheeks.

I took the only empty seat on the couch, continuing to watch the screen playing a movie I wasn't all familiar with. A hushed chatter amongst everyone was shared between the background noise of the movie. Entertaining themselves with the company of one another. It was nice to watch the interactions. How different they were but all commonly shared one factor, the love for sport and each other. An unexpected group of people who just clicked in an instant.

If you had told me a year ago I'd be sitting here. I probably would've laughed my ass off.

Far too entertained by the current conversation Caroline and Azzi were having over which Ryan is hotter, Ryan Gosling or Ryan Reynolds. Their bickering far too indulging.

I felt a light nudge into my side, turning to face the side of Paige's face. A small grin planted across her lips. She looked so pretty. So pretty it almost felt wrong to look away. Paige, if she knew it or not was in every aspect of the word perfection. Even though the word itself did her no justice to what she is. I could write an essay and it will never capture just how pretty she is.

The type movies are made about, the standard to all book prototypes. The type of beauty poems are written about. One that you could spot from a crowd miles out. What she held was something so particular nobody could compare to it.

The simplicity of how her nose scrunched when she smiled or how when she watched somebody she loved an unknowing smile would form onto her face and pull the apples of her cheeks into an unwavering grin. And when she was so focused on something you can see it in the way her gaze will never break from it, far too entranced to care about the world that filtered slowly behind her. Her eyes alone, when they would stare into your own it felt as if there was so much said. So much you wanna say dimmed to the silence of those blue eyes that hid so much you wanted to prevail. A sudden need to dive deeper into the depths of her layers that were so tightly built.

How can one person mean so much?

"Focusing on the movie, I see." Paige teases, her arm laid behind my shoulders, along the back of the couch. Her whispers hitting the crook of my neck in a warm embrace.