𝙀𝙇𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙉

NARRATOR
tw: mentions of ed

Kaia Jacobs was a star. Born to be a star. Her face was made for the camera and her talent was something so beyond comprehension it ran through her as easy as breathing. The exhilaration of being on the field, to feel that blood pumping adrenaline wire her brain sparked a certain sense of belonging. Her whole body and mind belonged to the sport, every calculation of her future was surrounded by that singular moment that separated her from real life to the pitch. 

Soccer was the only thing that was always consistent in her life. The only thing she knows that will always be there when she wakes up and the thing she always knew she can return to. Soccer was the one reliable thing that was left to balance out her life.

Soccer was the thing that kept her preoccupied from the intoxicating temptations to look perfect. The obsessive need to be perfect. An obsession that only grew as it clawed at her insides gnawing and biting down at her skin until her body gave in and her immune system would give up.

The thing about knowing what you're doing is bad, you will never stop until it gets worse. You won't know when to stop. Only when Emma had begged on her hands and knees the day Kaia was admitted to the hospital did the girl realise if she didn't want to become better for herself, she wanted to be better for her best friend.

Kaia believed that the saying old habits die was very much true. Old habits die until she can't stare at food for no longer than 3 seconds without feeling her insides internally screaming. Old habits die until you start counting the calorie intake of every meal. Old habits can't die if they never really did in the first place.

Is what Kaia now realised sitting in Emma's bed cuddled up into her side with a blank minded expression.

Emma gently stroked the top of her head, letting her nails lightly scratch the brunettes scalp as her hands glided along her smooth hair. Emma always worried for Kaia, seeing the person she loves the most pass out and her face hollowing as her bone structure started becoming more visible, unable to convince her to stop. Eventually Kaia did. But not for Emma. Maybe partially but not completely.

Emma knew and gave all her thanks to Paige Bueckers. Who was the one who had made sure Kaia ate every meal for every part of the day, watched her down to the very moment she fell asleep to make sure she didn't get up to go to the bathroom between any meals. Kaia was healthy because of Paige. She was healthier with Paige.

"You feeling better K?" Emma cooed lightly afraid to wake her best friend up too abruptly.

Kaia grumbled in response. Lifting her head from under the blankets, attempting to fix her ruffled strands that fell in all directions of her face. Kaia smacked her lips together at the drying sensation in her mouth as her tongue fumbled against the inside of her cheek subconsciously.

"I needed that." Kaia muttered cupping her face into her hands as she audibly groaned at the rumbling inside her stomach.

Kaia was better for a little bit at least. But to really think of it, the only times she didn't think about what she was eating and the effects of it afterwards were when she was with Paige.

"Can we get some food please?" Kaia wiped her sleeve against her mouth as she slide out from Emma's bed covers.

"Yeah, of course. Corner Cafe?" Emma smiled knowing all too well by the look on Kaia's face.

"Alright let's get moving love." Disregarding the fact both friends were still in their pyjamas. They were quick to grab their keys and walk down from campus to their favourite place.