13

"so this is your studio?" i asked as i looked around.

"yep." he said as he flopped on the chair that overlooks the booth. "get in there and sing your heart out." he said as he held his hand out for my laptop. i handed him the laptop. "let's run the one titled...'numb'." dominic said as he eyed the eight different songs.

i nervously stepped into the booth and picked up the mic, the song started to play and that was all...my confidence took over. i started to sing and put in everything i had. i belted out each lyric with such emotion, and when the song ended i was out of breath but very proud. i stepped outside of the booth and looked at him expectantly.

he was watching me the entire time, a huge smile spread over his lips. he rushed towards me and pulled me into his arms, hugging me tightly. "god damn, you're such an amazing singer. that was beautiful." he said with genuine sincerity, i could tell he was really impressed. his voice got lower. "your voice was literally perfection...god, i'm so proud of you right now."

i smiled and laughed softly. "thank you...thank you."

he squeezed me even tighter against him, burying his face into my neck. "you have no idea how incredible you are." i laughed against his neck, closing my eye and enjoying the moment. he broke away from the hug and walked around me slowly, taking me in. after examining me up and down, he smiled again. he stepped close enough to me that his chest was touching mine, and i instinctively wrapped my arms around his waist. he sighed and pulled me into him again.

"i say you just drop this song, make it a single...see how it does, then drop the album following it." dominic said as he pulled away.

his suggestion sent my heart skipping a beat. could i really make this song my debut? it would mean the world to me. "do you really think that could work?" i asked him hopefully. "that my single could make a name for me and then i could drop the album and follow it?" i couldn't believe how easy he made it sound.

he nodded. "for sure...you're already getting some spotlight from solana's song, i think it'll be really beneficial for you to do it that way. and now we've already recorded the vocals, all you have to do is edit it somehow."

his suggestion made so much sense, although this meant that i would be dropping the song out of nowhere. but if it meant getting the spotlight i so desperately wanted, i'd do it. "how will we get people to hear the song though?" i ask him earnestly. "how will the public even listen to it?"

he smiled. "social media." he said with certainty. "once we edit it just the way you want it and make sure you're 100% happy with the sound, we'll drop the song on every streaming service, make sure you have it on your youtube, spotify, tidal, apple music, everywhere. you'll blow up in no time, you're halfway there...look, as long as the song is good enough, and you know damn well it is, you'll be the next face of rnb music." he said nonchalantly.

"you make it sound so easy." i said with a sigh.

"because it is, all you have to do is edit it and then drop it...then you promote it, then the hype will come automatically." he said with a shrug.

the plan was so simple. edit the song, drop it on every platform, and watch the momentum build. but it was so much more to me than that, this was the next chapter of my life starting to be written, and with him by my side, it was going to be perfect. "and after that, album right?" i asked after a beat.

"yep" he paused before continuing, "and by then i bet you'll be signed."

his words were like music to my ears and the idea of being signed to a major label filled me with so much happiness. my heart was racing, this was the future i've been wanting for so long. "what if it doesn't work though?" i asked him, trying to be realistic about the situation. "what if my single just ends up being ignored by the public and i'm not signed?"