14

APRIL 20, 2024
11AM

i woke up to my phone ringing, lazily i reached over and answered it. "hello?" i said, not even looking at the contact name.

"yes, hello." the man on the other end said with a professional voice.

i rubbed my eyes, not recognizing the caller. the voice was deep and raspy, it didn't sound like anyone i knew. "could i ask who is calling?" i asked, my words were still groggy and i was feeling quite sluggish and tired.

"i'm calling from geffen records, my name is brad. i have some good news to share with you...actually, i have some amazing news..." i perked up as i heard this last part, the fact a record label was even interested in me got me excited.

"oh wow...brad, please go on." i said as i cleared my throat, to sound more confident and awake.

"well, we heard your song yesterday and fell in love with it. to make a long story short, we would like to offer you a record deal. we would be happy to sign you to the label." my heart nearly jumped out my chest and i couldn't believe what i was being told. this was my literal dream coming true.

"oh my gosh, that's incredible!" i exclaimed as a smile spread across my face. "this is a dream come true." i was speechless for a moment as i took in everything he was saying. "you're not joking, are you?"

brad chuckled at my reaction. "i'm not joking in the slightest, we want to sign you to geffen records." he said with certainty. he sounded excited, his voice was full of positivity and i couldn't help but feel thrilled by his tone.

"i'd have to think about it...can i get back to you by tomorrow?"

"of course, you can get back to me as soon as you like. there's no rush." he said. "but, one last question, just to be sure, you don't have any record label deals already, do you?" he asked me.

"no sir, i've been flying solo." i explained.

"perfect." he said with enthusiasm. after he got the necessary confirmation, he began to wind things down. "well, keep me updated on your decision. i look forward to hearing from you. have a nice day, ms. hooks." he concluded.

"goodbye mr. brad" with that the phone call got concluded. i leaned on my head on the headboard, scrolling on my contact list to facetime one person.

~~

FACETIME

as soon as he answered, he had a smile on his face

as soon as he answered, he had a smile on his face. "what's up elaine?" he greeted me.

"you'll never guess what just happened." i said.

his eyes lit up and his smile grew even bigger. "what's the good news?" he asked me, his tone was already full of excitement.

"geffen records wants me." i said with a big smile.