Chapter 2

Ethan POV

"Ethan, you paying attention?" Toto yelled from the front of the room.

"Hm? Yeah don't worry about it." I replied, irritated. I'd been over this before. It was pretty stupid and would only cause more trouble.

"Good. Just drive carefully until after he shoots, then come back here."

It was a warning. They'd been getting more and more comfortable hanging around our turf, one guy in particular. He was a member of Dominic's gang, they all were. I would drive the car slowly while Fox would shoot him, and we'd speed away. Knowing Fox, he wouldn't try to kill him— even though that's what his orders were. Of course by doing all of this, we'd be on Dominic's territory.

"Yeah yeah, I know. Let's just get it done." I left to the car and Fox jumped in beside me, his gun sticking out of his waistband.

I rolled up the windows and started driving the piece of shit I was supposed to call a car.

"So, why the fuck is Toto giving us instructions?" Fox said.

"It's cause he's been kissing Ace's ass for two years."

"Fucker." Fox replied. I knew Fox didn't get along that well with Toto, but if something happened to him he'd be pretty upset. There were twenty-two guys in our gang so we were all pretty close, though two of them were currently spying for us undercover in Dominic's gang.

"We're here. Where is he?" I got nervous and pulled my car over close to the sidewalk. Fox said nothing and scanned the area with me. We stayed there a few minutes before he nudged me and pointed across the street at the nearest intersection. There he was, looking behind him hastily but continuing forward. I slowly pulled out of the spot and crept behind him while Fox loaded his gun and rolled down the window.

He aimed at the guys left shoulder and shot once, be aiming at his legs and shooting again. The guy stumbled and fell as the bullets struck him. I pushed the gas pedal as far down as I could, seeing him fumble for his gun. It had fallen a foot ahead of where he'd fallen. He let out a string of curses and saw us speed past him. Fox rolled up the window.

"Carlo!" The guy yelled and from behind the nearest street corner, we saw a scuffed up black car emerge and start speeding after us.

"Shit! Get his tires!" I yelled at Fox. He reopened the window and aimed,

"You gotta swerve left, I have no aim." They started shooting at us. I swerved quickly and Fox shot one tire multiple times and it deflated, making them slow down.

"Nice." I said, letting out a breath as they disappeared behind us.

"That was way too close." I looked over at him and he avoided my eye contact. "What?" I looked back at the road.

"You know Ace will be pissed you didn't kill him." He shrugged.

"So? I tried, I got him twice didn't I?" I shrugged and turned left to take a shortcut down a dark alleyway. We were back on our side of town. Fox could play dumb but he'd just shot the tire of a moving car, I knew he wouldn't miss a kill shot if he wanted to make it. I would back him up with Ace though, he was the closest thing I had to a brother.

We got back to the run down apartment that I shared with Fox and two other members of the gang, Chase and Hank. I grabbed a beer bottle and sat on our fading black couch. We'd found it years ago on the side of the street, along with most of our other furniture.

I waited for Toto to come get the details of what had happened and turned the tv on to the local news channel, hoping we weren't on it. Fox went to take a nap the room. Around an hour later, Toto burst through our door, looking as irritating as ever.