Chapter 18

Thank you to everyone who commented suggestions for the title! Credit to: aturtlesdream, neji_is_life, and Little_Miss_Giggles for your title ideas that lead to "Dangerous".

Daniel POV

When I went to the window again to look at the car, it was driving away. I wasn't that worried about it, but I locked my door anyway. About an hour later, I heard my mom come through the door with a different guy from the hospital, so I climbed up to the roof and stayed up there until I saw his car pull out of the driveway. 

***

Should I even go to school today? I didn't think it was a good idea, but my grades were shit. My mom wouldn't care either way. I also wanted to look for a job today. It'd been a week since Ethan drove me home from the hospital and he'd come by every day since then to check on me or just hang out.

I texted Ethan, telling him I was going to school. I knew I'd get a worried response soon, but I didn't want him coming to the house today and not finding me there. I didn't need my crutches or a wheelchair anymore, but my leg had a brace on it that I had to keep on for a while.

I started my walk to school, ignoring the looks I got from people and the unsettling glares from lurking gang members. The stares didn't stop when I got to school. I made my way to my locker then walked to Mrs. Cook's room to tell her I'd finished my makeup work. People shot me strange looks, and I tried walking faster to get away from all the attention and the whispers that followed me.

"...tried killing himself."

"No some guy in a gang tried killing him—"

"Shhh! That's not true. What could he do to make someone in a gang that mad?"

"He probably tried coming on to them..." I closed my eyes and prayed there was no high school in the afterlife.

When I finally made it to her room, I was out of breath. They really think I tried killing myself? I quickly closed the door behind me before making my way to the chair in front of Mrs. Cook's desk to wait for her.

Finally, she came in carefully, looking as if I would run away from her. I tried ignoring her body language and fished out all of my completed homework.

"Hey, so I finally finished the homework," I said, expecting her to praise me for getting it done, but she took it without looking it over and smiled sadly at me.

"I think we need to talk about what happened last week." She said, trying to act understanding. I wasn't in the mood.

"What happened last week?" I said bluntly.

"You know what I'm talking about. I think it would be a good idea for you to see the school counselor, Mr. Wilson, I've already told him a little about you—"

"Hang on— I'm not seeing a therapist!" I began, standing up.

"Counselor Daniel, and I really think it's for the best—"

"I don't need a therapist -I didn't jump off that fucking bridge."

I rushed out of the classroom, ignoring her calling after me and walked quickly back to my locker. I got my books for the next class and turned around, before taking a jump back.