Chapter 38

Daniel POV

The next two days went by quickly. Ethan was in and out of meetings about the assignment he was given by Ace for Sunday. All the signs pointed to it being a drug deal, but he didn't give me any details. I assumed he didn't want to worry me, but I was getting stressed seeing his face get more and more anxious as the weekend neared an end.

It was late Saturday night and I was watching a show on my phone. Ethan was at his apartment, getting things in order. My eyes were slowly starting to shut when my phone started ringing. I looked and saw Sarah's name on my screen. My finger hovered over her name. What the hell does she want? My gut told me to answer but my mind told me to ignore her. I took a deep breath and declined, closing my eyes again.

As soon as the call was declined, an eerie silence filled the room. The show I was watching had paused. My senses seemed to subconsciously sharpen as the silence somehow seemed to get louder. I sat up in my bed straighter and listened, expecting to hear someone creeping around outside. Minutes passed and I heard nothing. I stood up and turned the lights off, then went to my window. I looked outside in the dark for a while, my eyes adjusting. There was no movement so I closed my window and switched the latch so it was locked. Ethan wouldn't be coming. He was too busy. I lay back down on my bed and closed my eyes, still listening.

I heard no noise from my mother's room.

There's a first.

I found myself daydreaming about leaving Oklahoma. Going somewhere where I'd be able to have one night without hearing gunshots, where I could walk the streets without the fear of getting mugged or stalked or shot. Where I could walk into school without insults being echoed after me. Where Ethan wouldn't have to get summoned by his gang leader every five minutes. Where he wouldn't have to go risk his life dealing drugs and fighting gangs.

But I was just dreaming.

Ethan POV

Today was the day.

The meth was packed in my trunk. Every pound. I had a machine gun stored under my drivers side seat and a handgun in the middle console. I had an excess of ammunition waiting in the glove compartment. I was sitting at my kitchen table, my foot bouncing up and down nervously.

Fox had managed to borrow Toto's car. It didn't take much convincing— Fox's ability to threaten him was much greater than Toto's confidence in Ace protecting him after I'd beaten him up. I looked up at my roommates and they were all giving me worried expressions. I glared.

"Stop looking at me like that." Hank and Chase looked away but Fox glared back at me. I rolled my eyes.

"You all promised to keep an eye on Daniel tonight, I have a really weird feeling about this." They all nodded and Fox spoke up.

"Is he sure he doesn't need a ride home? I have a sick ride," he twirled the keys to Toto's 2000 Toyota Corolla. I wouldn't have necessarily called it a sick ride, although it was better than mine. I shook my head.

"He said he'd walk but wait for him anyway outside the store. Tell him I told you to give him a ride." He nodded. I checked my phone for the time. It was almost three, I figured I'd give Daniel a ride to work before I left. I grabbed my keys and didn't say anything, leaving the apartment. When I got in my car  I pushed the machine gun further below my seat— I didn't want to scare Daniel.

I started driving and felt as if everyone was watching me. My nerves were on fire. I'd never had more drugs in my car. If I got pulled over it'd be years in jail. It took me a few minutes to get to his place and I texted him telling him I was outside. He walked out looking carefree and rested. I felt the corners of my lips turning upwards and my stress reduced by a fraction upon seeing him. He lightly got in my car and gave me a wide smile.