Chapter 15

Ethan POV

I sat in the waiting room with Hank and Chase, waiting to see Fox. The doctor had told us that he'd live, but it would be a while before anyone could see him. All I could think of was that I almost got him killed. I was the one who wanted to go out and get beer. Why didn't that guy stab me instead? The only thing I wanted to live for was Daniel, but I'd even lost him. Well, at least I still had Fox, Hank and Chase. Unless Ace made me stop being with them too. I stood up, frustrated.

"Hey guys imma go get some air." I saw Hank asleep in his chair, but Chase nodded at me as I left.

I walked down to the entrance, sat outside on the bench, and started thinking about Daniel. I wonder what he's doing right now. It has to be better than this shit. I decided to call him. Ace couldn't do anything about that. I called him but it went straight to voicemail. That was weird. He usually always answered me.

He's probably still mad at you. Why wouldn't he be? I'm such an ass.

I heard sirens in the distance as I lit up a cigarette. I sat outside and smoked, as I heard the sirens coming closer and closer. As an ambulance pulled up in front of the hospital and started pulling out a stretcher, I stood up and walked back inside. I didn't want to look like I was snooping. If I was in the stretcher I'd feel pretty awkward some random guy started creepily staring at me.

I walked into the waiting room and sat next to Hank and Chase, who were both sleeping now. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep, but there began to be a lot of commotion from outside the waiting room, as the figure in the stretcher was rushed by. I decided to try to call Daniel again because I couldn't fall asleep, and wanted to talk to someone. The call went to voicemail again, and I angrily shut my phone and began to walk to the hospital cafeteria.

I found a random table next to some nervous, douchey-looking teens, and started eating my sandwich.

"Shut up. We were all there. We saw him jump. Nobody pushed him. Right guys?" One of the guys at the table whispered.  I looked in their direction and continued to eavesdrop.

"Are you serious? Dude! The drop wasn't that tall! He'll live and then he'll remember." Some stupid looking guy said.

"Remember what? That he tried killing himself?" The other people in the group looked uncomfortable but said nothing. Then an average looking girl spoke up.

"Mason if you'd just left us alone none of this would have happened. He seemed happy for once in his life, why'd you need to come over? I didn't know you hated him that much!"

"Sarah, get over it. We're past that."

"No- why'd you have to chase him through the forest?!"

"Sarah be quiet. We were making sure he wouldn't do something stupid, like he did."

"Whatever. If you hadn't come over Daniel would be-"

"Excuse me?" I stood up suddenly, my chair clattered to the ground. I took a few steps and hovered over their table. They all looked me over and seemed scared.

"What?" One of the guys said quietly.

"Who the fuck are you talking about?"

"It's none of your business. Who even are you and why do you care?" The guy- Mason the girl had called him- said, trying to seem tough. I took a step closer, and rolled up my sleeves.

"I asked you a fucking question." I spat, and saw his eyes look at my tattoos and everyone at the table seemed to cower back.

"J-just this kid. Daniel, he goes to our school." Some random kid at the table said, but I didn't look away from Mason. I was about to ask for his last name when I realized that I didn't know it.