Chapter 36

Daniel POV

My mind was still hazy, but I could feel panic start to consume me. I felt my breathing get shorter, so I got off the couch and quickly walked to the bathroom. I shut and locked the door then sat with my back leaning against it.

They're following me.

My breaths became short and quick, as if the wind had been knocked from me. I closed my eyes and tried to control the drowning feeling I was being immersed in. My head was spinning and dizziness began to take control over my body. I tried steadying my head with my hands and felt cold sweat all over my face.

They haven't given up.

The panic attack wasn't a good mix with my previous alcohol consumption however, and I found myself quickly crawling to the toilet and throwing up all the drinks from earlier. Once I was done I sat back against the wall and closed my eyes, trying to take deep breaths.

Think of Ethan.

That seemed to help. I thought of how his smile hadn't faded after we'd kissed. Of his striking, sharp, flawless features, and how the sunset gleamed off of his perfectly muscular chest in the jacuzzi.

I felt my breaths getting less irregular.

I thought of how swiftly he'd moved to kiss me, and how the tone of his voice dropped a notch before doing so.

My breathing was back to normal, but I felt my heart beat picking up and some blood rushing to my face.

There was a sudden knocking on the bathroom door and I jumped a foot, hitting my head on the towel rod.

"Daniel, are you okay in there?" It was Max's voice. I let out a breath and clutched my now throbbing head.

"Yeah, I just need to wash my face. I'll be out in a second."  I heard him walk back to the living room. I quickly flushed the vomit filled toilet and got up to the sink. I looked around and saw a bottle of Listerine on the counter. I cupped my hand and poured a tiny bit in, hoping Carmen wouldn't mind. I used it to rinse my mouth, hoping to get the vomit taste out. It worked, and after rinsing it again with water, I left the bathroom.

There were still a few people looking out the window, but Carmen, Max, Angie, and the rest were all huddled in the middle of the living room. Carmen seemed the most shaken, but looked up when I got there.

"You okay Daniel?" She asked, somehow still managing to have a kind warmth in her voice. I nodded and joined their circle. Angie was rubbing Carmen's back, comfortingly. Max kept looking around, as if the man was still in the house. The rest were just staring into space, looking unnerved.

"Did anyone call the cops?" I asked. They all nodded.

"They should be here soon, but he's already long gone and all we have is the car model." Angie said.

"Aren't there cameras by the gate to the neighborhood?" Max asked, seemingly hopeful. Carmen nodded but looked less enthused.

"They haven't worked for a while though. The people who lived right by the gate complained that the light would come on every time someone drove through so they turned them off. Now they're more of a scare tactic." Max's shoulders dropped.

"Cops are here," someone watching from the window said. Shortly after, there was a short, rapid knock on the door, and Carmen got up to answer. Two male officers were there, one who looked mid-twenties with a buzz cut and brown hair, and the other looked like he was in his fifties, his gray hairs prominent.

Luckily, they only seemed to be interested in Carmen's version of the story as the rest of us had been asleep. They took down all of our names for the report anyway and we all confirmed her story. As they were leaving they made sure to reassure Carmen that they'd check with nearby businesses and see if their cameras caught anything about a white bmw. They seemed to care more about crime here than downtown. She seemed partially satisfied and thanked them. They left and she made sure to lock the door, even hooking a chair under the handle for good measure.