Chapter 6

Daniel POV

When I got to the liquor store, Ethan was already there. He had sunglasses on and was leaning against an old, run down car with what looked like bullet holes in some places- and a lot of broken glass. He looked like he was texting.

"Hey." I said to get his attention. He had an old school rap station on at a low volume. He jumped a little and smiled, taking off his glasses.

"Hey Daniel. Here get in, there's no glass on the seat don't worry." He laughed, I gave him a weak smile in response.

As he walked to the driver side I got in the car, trying to hide my bloody, cut shirt. He got in the drivers seat but seemed to notice that my mood was different than earlier.

"Hey... is everything okay?" His brows drew close together and his eyes met mine. He scanned my face,  and I could tell he was trying to read me. I looked away and nodded.

"Everything's fine. Thanks for picking me up." I said nervously. I wish that I could tell him everything... but I hardly knew him. I didn't even know why I was compelled to call him for this, I just knew that I didn't want to be alone. But it had only been a few hours since he last saw me, so I felt a bit weird. He watched me for another few seconds before I saw him nod from the corner of my eye and start the car.

"No problem. Hey, put on that hoodie and take these." He handed me his glasses.

"Uh, why?"

"It's just the neighborhood you know? Don't want anyone dangerous seeing you." He reassured me and I nodded. I dug my jacket out of my backpack which I had completely forgotten about. I pulled it on uncomfortably, but was careful to not show any signs of being in pain. After throwing the hoodie over my head and popping on Ethan's sunglasses, I felt more comfortable.

The drive was only two blocks before Ethan slowly pulled up next to an alleyway and hopped out of the car. He walked to my side and grabbed my backpack for me which I was secretly grateful for. After manually locking his car, he led me to a shady looking apartment complex. We walked all the way to the end and Ethan quickly ushered me in the last room, number 707. I took off his glasses when we were inside and looked around. It wasn't too bad, there was a corner full of empty beer cans and some random movies scattered.

"Nice apartment." I said and looked out the window, recognizing one of the alleyways I walked through to get to school.

"Thanks. So, what's up? Did anything happen at school?" I knew he was referring to why I'd asked him to hang out, but I played dumb.

"Nothing really. Just felt like company." He gave me a surprised look. I smiled back.

"Why wouldn't you tell me what was wrong on the phone?" I froze for a second.

"I just... didn't want to be there." His expression softened and he uncrossed his arms.

"Well give me the grand tour, where's your room?" My face heated up when I realized how that sounded, but I kept my mouth shut knowing I'd only embarrass myself more if I didn't. He laughed, not seeming fazed.

"Yeah. So there's four guys living in here and two rooms, so I share one with my buddy Fox. I think you met him..." There was an moment of silence so I nodded.

"Yeah, sounds fun."

He led me into a surprisingly neat room except for a corner with some laundry on the floor. I noticed that there were no pictures, just a closet and two mattresses on the floor.

I smiled.

"Which one is yours?" I said pointing to the mattresses. He pointed to the one with black sheets.