Chapter 40

Ethan POV

Blood. Everywhere.

I was out of the car, on the ground holding Daniel's limp body in my arms.

No no no no no.

The word repeated in my head like a mantra. All other words or thoughts were lost. I closed my eyes, hugging his head against my chest, holding his body up helplessly.

Mason's dad's body was in my peripheral, lifeless under the wheels of the stolen car. His insides spilling out for the world to see, his evil eyes were empty but had a ghost of victory fading away. His son had disappeared.

There was commotion around me. I saw Ace coming at me from the side, yelling something. I looked up and saw Fox running behind him, raising his arm. He pointed his gun at Ace's head. The gunshot sounded as if it echoed from the other side of a long tunnel, and Ace's body fell like a sack of bricks, his head smacking against the concrete with a sickening crack.

Dead.

Hank was behind me, yelling loudly on the phone to a 911 operator. Most of the apartment doors were open, our gang members looking at Ace's body, confused and frantic, not knowing who to point the guns at.

Their leader was dead.

Across the parking lot, Chase was stirring awake, Fox was running over to him practically dragging him into my car. I closed my eyes and hugged Daniel closer.

No.

If I was half a second faster, he would've been okay. The blood was pouring from his head fast. The bullet had gone straight through. I opened my eyes and numbly noticed a second bullet wound in his shoulder and felt a dull throb from my heart. My shirt was drenched with his blood.

It's my fault.

I felt someone shaking my shoulders roughly. Fox.

"We have to go! The cops are here Hank and Chase are in the car— if Daniel's alive they'll take him to a hospital but we have to go!"

If Daniel's alive.

I shook my head, my blurry eyes looked down at him. I sensed motion around me. Everyone was running in different directions, our gang evacuating fast as red and blue lights started flooding out of the shadows.

"Just go." I said to Fox. My voice was deep and broken. He gave me a torn look.

"Ethan, if you're staying- lie about everything."

I said nothing.

"I'll text you where to go when you're ready!" He ran to the car and sped off, just as the cops pulled in. I didn't move. Why should I?

The lights came closer and I saw paramedics running towards us. I held Daniel tighter, moving my hand to the front of his neck.

Please.

I held my fingers there and closed my eyes. My heart jumped as I felt something...

No...

My eyes snapped open. The paramedics had reached us, laying down a stretcher next to Daniel and saying something to me. I ignored them and felt it again.

A pulse?

That would mean his heart was still beating...

I felt hands on me. The paramedic was pushing me away, reaching for Daniel. I wanted to hold onto him but forced myself to let them take him. They were working quickly, I was on my knees beside them, my hands clenched tightly.