Fight to Live

VOTE!

COMMENT!

FOLLOW!

***

  "We're going to be late." Kayla yells, dragging me with her.

   "History sucks." I whine. Education isn't my calling. Most teenagers will utter those words at least once in their life, but for me it's true.

   "Leon wanted us to graduate. I'm fine, but your D-average is less than stellar." Kayla replied. Leon was continuously on all of our cases. He'd come home late, bruised and exhausted, drilling us on our grades. Earning a 'B' to Leon meant we had to study more, I thought it was impressive. I didn't do much so for years I've faked my report cards, a talent that proved itself. Kayla has class with me, and she kept her lips sealed. I can feel Leons heavy disappointment.

   "Exactly. Graduate. That's it." I say. That was Leons ultimate goal for his siblings- to graduate high school, mainly because Leon dropped out when he was a Freshmen. A pointless dream for me, but a thing I'll keep alive for my sisters and brothers.

   Kayla's feet become glued to the floor, "Huh?"

   "All I have to do is graduate. I don't need remarkable grades or anything." I answer. I had made my decision on this subject a decade in advance. Even as a child I realized I didn't belong in the academic life.

   "But don't you want to go to college?" She asks, confusion in her thoughtful eyes.

   I snicker, might as well confess, "School, college, that shit won't help me."

   "Well, what do you plan to do with your life?" Kayla seems genuinely concerned for my future. Or lack there of.

   "Easy. Get a paying job and take care of the kids." I say. Chicago has plenty of jobs available for youthful girls. And by that, I mean being a waitress, librarian, receptionist. I refuse to be degraded like my mother.

   "Cameron, that's nothing. I thought you wanted to get out of Chicago." Kayla implored. She better not transform into a miniature Leon, then I'll have a recurring headache.

  "I do. See, I'm graduating, then I'm going to work and save money. After I have enough, we're leaving." That has been my plan, even with Leon being a King. I already know the moment you're in a gang there's no chance of quitting. They made their own meaning of 'Ride or Die' because that's literally how you will live. A problem I won't have to solve now.

   "But-"

   "What do you plan to do with your life?" I turn the tables, though we've talked about this a dozen times.

   She blushes, "Nursing or law."

   "And you know those need college degrees and you'll make the big bucks." Kayla requires college to pursue her destiny, but I don't for mine.

   "Well, yeah."

   "That's for you, not me. Figure out what you love and I'll be there. I work and you attend school." I finish the last of my soda and throw the can on the floor.

   Kayla bends to pick up the can and chucks it in a recycling bin, "I wish you'd be more ambitious."

   "I am, duh. Think about it. Both of us in college, who'll pay the bills and feed everyone. School and a part time job, too stressful. But there's two of us. One will be schooled, while the other stacks the cash." I adjust my backpack and sauntered through Kennedy.

   "Or we can trade. You college and I find a job." Sweet, my twin willing to sacrifice what she can accomplish for me.

   Kayla is the substantial twin. She's the Martinez girl boys lust, girls wish to shop with, and teachers admire. On multiple occasions I've heard how hot Kayla is, what an ass she has, her perfect skin and looks, her huge breasts, silk hair. She's gorgeous, intellectual, and can make it in the world.