Leon's Lineage

VOTE!

COMMENT!

Excuse any mistakes!

***

   We climb the stairs to the top floor, when there Angel knocks on door number 142. I hear shuffling as someone rushes to open the door. My jaw drops, "Bridget?"

   Kayla squeals and leaps into Bridget's thin arms. They hug and Bridget tries to finger comb her knotted dark brown hair. "Hey, girls." She smiles awkwardly.

   I gap at Angel, he offers a small shrug. Bridget and Kayla part, I shake her hand.

   "What are you doing in Chicago?" Kayla squeaks. She and Bridget had a connect the moment they started gossiping. I like the girl but I'm not about to get jumpy at the sight of her.

   "I couldn't stay away." She says, emerald green eyes sparkling.

   "You know about Leon?" I ask tentatively. I do not want to break the bad news to her; tears and feelings aren't my area of expertise.

   She nods, her eyes redden and she sniffles. Then I notice how small she's gotten, currently Bridget's barely past starvation. "Angel told me. I miss him, but it's nothing compared to you two."

   Kayla hugs Bridget again, empathy making Kayla wish to comfort Bridget. "You're his ex, I'm sure you miss him all the same."

   "You haven't told them?" Bridget directs her gaze towards Angel.

   "It's not my place." A silent communication passed through them.

   "Tell us what?" I snap, irritated.

   "Come in." We pile inside her tiny apartment. Kayla and I go to her sofa, and Angel stands at the entrance. Her living room and kitchen are combed, both messy and cluttered. There are two wooden doors, both remain closed. My heart rapidly beats, I have the ridiculous hope that Leon will stroll in, break the tense and everything will go back to normal. But he won't because the dead don't come back to life.

   "Tell. Us. What." I repeat, my attitude present. I honestly don't like being here.

   Bridget's eyes unfocused as she mentally travels through time. "I moved back about two years ago. Leon and I ran into each other in the coffee shop we used to go to. It was like no time had passed, we picked up where we left off."

   "Leon never said anything." My brother and I were very close, and for him to keep secrets pains me. There wasn't a thing in this world Leon didn't know about me, yet I never knew this of him.

   "I can't tell you why he wouldn't. Anyway, we were in love. Naturally, the Kings kept him away, but he made the effort to see me as often as he could." Bridget's soft smile reflected her nostalgic emotions.

   I impatiently flick my hand, "Leon's love-life matters to me, how?"

   On que, a high pitched wail came from one of the concealed rooms. Kayla's eyes locked with mine as Bridget rose and went to the noise. She entered with a bundle of blankets. I freeze when she sat next to me.

   "Cameron, meet your nephew, Ash Cameron Martinez." Bridget adjusts herself, allowing me to gaze at the little face in the blankets.

   Tears prickle my eyes and I choke on a shaky sob. I hiccup, "May I?"

   Bridget smiles, "Of course."

   I take my nephew, Ash, and push the blankets concealing his face. A yawn escapes his open mouth and I smile. I run my finger over his dainty forehead and note the deep brown hair on his head. Must've gotten that from Bridget because Leon is blonde. "How old is he?"