Deafening Quiet

Kyle Harrison Breitkopf is the adorable little man in the photo who is Patrick Martinez. I just want to ruffle that hair!

VOTE!

COMMENT!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

*****

"Montez, where are we?" Angel had parked his hummer diagonally, telling me we arrived to wherever he had planned. I clutch the duffle bag to my chest and ignore the sting in my eyes. Angel had driven to my house and had Gabriel quickly pack my belongings, which wasn't much besides my clothes, toothbrush and whatnot. While Gabriel was ransacking my house, Angel fiddled with my phone. He took out my sim card and crushed it with his fingers, replacing it with this green thing that would make my phone untraceable; an invention of Luke's that the Chicago Kings love. Then Gabriel got dropped off at one of the CK's night clubs and Angel started driving.

I didn't pay attention to our destination because I don't care anymore. My family was my world, now they've been ripped away and I'm left with nothing. I was slowly coming back to life since Leon's death and suddenly the Grim Reaper sucked the essence right out of my mouth. Whatever happens to me is irreverent, as long as my siblings continue to live. At this rate there won't be any Martinez children left.

"My place," He hadn't spoken the entire time, probably sensing I couldn't handle small talk. But his answer caused confusion so I look out the window. We're at an apartment building in the wealthier side of Chicago. To live here would cost a pretty penny but it'd be worth it, by the looks of the security camera's, doorman, and how each tenant has their own floor.

As I gouge the fancy cars sitting in the special residential parking, Angel had gotten out and was holding open my door. I push aside my dark thoughts and sling the bag over my shoulder. Without even saying anything, Angel took my bag and lead the way to the structure. The doorman did his job and held the door open and we made our way to him.

"Troy," Angel gave a nod.

Troy smiled, "Montez. What a beautiful girl with you today." His tone suggested Angel brought a lot of beautiful girls with him to his apartment.

Acting out of the many emotions running through me, I backhand Troy, "It's not like that," I growl.

"Troy, she isn't a fuck. This is Leon's sister, Cameron." Angel didn't bother hiding his smirk.

I could see the recognition dawn on Troy's face, "Her? She's Cameron Martinez? Like, the Cameron Martinez?"

I grab a fistful of his shirt, "Got a problem?"

Angel put a hand on my shoulder and yanked me off Troy. He then pushed me inside because a fog settled over Chicago, dropping a few degrees. With a sound of defiance I stumble into the lobby and adjust my winter coat. 

"Can you not pick a fight with a working man?" He asked.

"I don't feel well." I tug my hair out of the ponytail it had been in and let it flow wildly on my shoulders. Angel walked ahead to the elevators and we enter one. He pressed the button for his floor and we went up. I lean on the wall, "What is this place?"

I knew there was no way a gangster as famous as Angel could live in such a normal establishment with normal people. He's not the kind of evil that would put innocent lives in danger. So that makes me believe this isn't an average apartment building.

"Not every cop, politician, judge, detective, banker and a shitload more are clean. Just think of this as the biggest location for crooked white collar individuals who want protection from those they serve." The doors open and Angel reaches for his keys.