Chapter 20 : Cruelty At Its Finest

[A/N] We're at the the twentieth chapter people and I must say I'm excited to share what else I've got to offer. I always make a big deal when I reach this point for any of my books because it seems like such an accomplishment.

Chapter 20 : Cruelty At Its Finest

"I've gotta go." Alex stated as soon as he stepped back into the living room.
It had been no longer than thirty minutes since we had our little conflict and ever since he had been avoiding me but yet still he stayed... just not in my presence. He was such an enigma.

I looked up at him from the book, To Kill A Mockingbird, I was reading. I had read it a hundred times yet it successfully managed to keep me entertained. "Um, okay." I mumbled non committingly.

I was feeling so much better after devouring the hot soup and it made my insides feel much warmer and at peace. I wanted to thank him again for it but the palpable tension between us made me rethink the act.

I saw a small scowl appear onto his face as he walked over towards me and retrieved his phone from off the coffee table next to me. He then took me completely surprise by asking, "Are you okay now though?" as he straightened his back, standing up once again.

I nodded but wanted to sigh at how detached he was acting. Like seriously, what the hell did I do wrong?

Apparently something, I thought as I watched him give me once last look before exiting the room and a few seconds later I heard the front door slam shut.

A loud sigh escaped my lips this time and I ran my hands through my hair in thought.

--------------

Walking up the stairs I rushed to my room and took a quick shower. I entered my room in my wet state, drying my damped hair with a towel. After dressing in my pajamas I plopped down onto my soft bed messing it up a bit as I took my position. I fixed my hair behind my head, drew my white Apple laptop in front of me and began searching for YouTube and immediately started watching some videos of the YouTubers I was subscribed to.

I couldn't help but feel better as I saw iisuperwomanii truly know as Lily Singh acting like her Indian parents. Their thoughts and expressions were so ridiculous that they had me laughing every five seconds.

I would love to meet her for real, I thought a couple minutes after the video was coming to an end as Lily spoke in her normal quick pace. She did her signature 'One love superwoman that is a wrap' thing with the sign and finally the video cut off.

I clicked onto a Connor Franta video and waited as I listened to his familiar catchy musical intro. As Connor introduced himself the door to my room flew and I looked up to see Leona who was dressed in one of her usual formal dresses.

"My room wants cleaning and the laundry needs to be done again."

I gazed up at her in confusion. Didn't I do the laundry just the other day? I didn't bother voicing my thoughts and instead shot up quickly out the bed and stood in front of her.

She opened her mouth to talk again but a sound echoed through the room over the laptop's audio which I reduced to a mere ten percent.

Leona's mouth snapped shut at the sound and she slowly raised both of her neatly arched eyebrows at me while my body froze, a coldness washing over me.

"What was that noise?" She inquired and my eyes shifted to the floor refusing to meet hers.

I knew that ping noise and I knew without a doubt that it was my phone. The same phone that she forbade me of getting along with a car and other things.