Chapter Thirteen

"You didn't want to talk to me then, don't try to talk to me now," Zeek says rejecting Logan's call as he walks up to a nice one-story house. Standing at the front door he rings the doorbell one time waiting for the owner to arrive.

"Robert, what are you doing here?" Carla asks shocked to see Zeek at her doorsteps.

"I have brought gifts for Gennie, when I asked for your address, I thought that you knew that I was coming over. Can I come in it's raining and I'm cold?"

"Yeah, in the morning!" she walks towards her linen closet taking out a few towels so that he can dry himself on, "sit on this chair, and let me get a heater for you," she rushes into her room grabbing her portable heater off her nightstand along with a few a shirt that belonged to her late husband before coming back into the living room, "here, dry yourself off, I don't want you to catch a cold and you're making a mess in my living room," she looks down at the bags of toys and clothes that Zeek brought. "Why do you have so many bags?"

"For all of the missed birthdays and Christmases throughout the years. Is she asleep?"

"Yes, she has practice in the morning, what's going on?" Carla questions studying his face.

"Nothing," Zeek shakes his head trying to hide any emotions from his face.

"You can't lie to me and think that you forgot that I know you better than you think."

"Fine, Logan received a picture of the three of us when we went out for ice cream, which lead her to believe that Genesis is mine."

"How did she even get the pictures in the first place?"

"Her immature ex-boyfriend who can't seem to get it through his thick head that she has happily moved on, at least I hope that she is happy?"

"Why would you say that?" she sits down beside him leaving space between them.

"Because it just seems as though she is always with him, she claims that she doesn't have any feelings for him, but her actions say otherwise."

"I'm sorry to hear that for you, but I hate to say this you wouldn't have to deal with this if you would have just invited us to the wedding. Did you at least tell her about Joshua?"

"I didn't tell her anything about that part of my life."

"See, so you can't be that mad at her for keeping secrets if you're doing the same thing."

"I mean I was going to tell her when I got home, but then she came at me with that accusation that it just got pushed to the back of my mind. Then when I prepared myself to walk out of my office, and attempt to have an adult conversation with her, I heard her car starting up, looked out the window to see her pulling out of the driveway."

"Maybe she did a drive around to calm he nerves. I use to do that all the time when I would get into it with Joshua."

"Yeah."

I know where exactly she went, and who she went to.

"Well has she met the rest of your family?"

"No, just Uncle Vern and his people."

"And I'm sure that he made a great first impression on her," she rolls her eyes with sarcasm in her voice remembering the first encounter that she had with Vern.

"Well, he didn't exactly welcome her with open arms."

"Of course he wouldn't, you see how the way he treats his youngest child, Chris, acts like he doesn't even exist and even looks down on him as if he is beneath him. Speaking of Chris when was the last time you talked to him?

"Not until recently, I called him a while back to tell him that I'm moving, but he never picked up or call me back."

"Hopefully everything is going alright with him. I worry about him sometimes."

"You and me both kid, well I have to get going, I have to go to work in the morning," Zeek gets up and stretches his body.

"And you also need to talk to with your wife and tell her everything, don't hold back."

"I'll see what I can do."

"No Robert, I'm being serious right now, if you have to be honest with your wife."

"Okay so let's say that I tell her everything and things don't go the way I want, and she isn't as understanding as I want her to be, then what?"

"Then why are you married to her?"

~

Pulling into the driveway Zeek notices that Logan's car is parked in her regular spot. Taking a deep breath, he puts his car in park and cuts off the car mentally preparing himself to discuss a part of his life that he wants to put in the past. But he wants to have no secrets in his marriage so the best thing to do is to just talk about it with his wife. Walking into the living room he spots Logan asleep on the couch nestled underneath the blanket that is usually draped across the armchair. "Hey, Logan," he kneels down in front of her gently caressing her cheeks until she starts to stir, "I know that you're awake, you aren't snoring."

"I don't snore," she muffles opening her eyes looking up at Zeek, "when did you get home?"

"Just now, why aren't you sleep in bed?"

"Because I needed to talk to you, where were you?"

"Over a friend's house."

"That woman's house?" Logan asks trying to push the irritation in her voice away, but Zeek heard it loud and clear.

"That woman's name is Carla, and yes I was over her house."

"I'm guessing that is wear you got those clothes from, where is your original clothing?" she sits pulling the blanket closer to her body.

"I got them from her place, it was pouring where she was."

"So you just have extra clothes over her place for what reason?"

"These aren't my clothes Logan, these are her late husband's, my brother."

"Your brother."

"Yes I hav- had a twin brother, identical twin brother. I haven't been completely honest with you about my life Logan, and I can't continue on without you knowing, it just hard for me to expla-" he feels himself getting choked up thinking about the situation.

"Hey, hey, you don't have to tell me right now," she pulls him into her chest cradling him as her heart breaks feeling wetness on her shirt, "just wait until you're ready, okay."

~

The chiming sound of Zeek's alarm woken Logan up first. Looking at the time she realizes how much she doesn't miss waking up in the early hours of the day to get to work. Cutting of the alarm she rests back into her pillow pulling Zeek closer to her as he sleeps peacefully on her chest.

"You shouldn't have done that," he muffles before trying to get up but was back against her before he could lift his head, "Logan I have to go."

"You can miss a day of work."

"But I already missed a day."

"Then what is wrong with missing another day?"

"Vern will have my head."

"Let him be mad, you already buss your ass working for his company, you deserve to have a few days to yourself."

"I guess you're right."

"I know I'm right, are you ready to talk to me about your family?" hearing him sigh she drops her arms sitting up along with him.

"What do you want to know?"