Something Like Déjà vu

Awesome banner made by Midnight_reader and this chapter is dedicated to ZyrelleCamille for her amazing comment that brought a tear to my eyes, thank you

I turned the door knob of Mason's large bedroom door, I took in a deep breath, not knowing exactly what I was supposed to ask or tell Mason. I knew I wasn't a pro at this comfort-advice thing that so many girls seemed to be good at, but it didn't matter if I didn't know which words to use or how to use them, what mattered was that I was to tell my friend that if he needed someone to turn to, I would happily be that person.

I stepped into his large, airy room for the second time in one day, only I stepped into his room in much brighter spirits earlier and even though I messed up Mason's chances with the hot Brazilian aerobics instructor, he was still in a good mood then.

"Ma-" I stopped when I saw Mason standing, aimlessly looking out his large room window that overlooked the estate that his mansion was built on. I took gradual steps towards him, taking in the side profile of his face, which looked very nonchalant from where I stood but as I got closer I could see what I didn't a few minutes ago downstairs. His jaw was rigid not from anger but hurt, his lips were pursed in a straight line and from what I could see of it, his eyes looked intense but I wasn't too sure if it was the bright sun shining from outside reflecting into his blue-grey orbs or it was tears that made his eyes look like glass. All I knew was that I've never seen his eyes so glistened before; I swallowed and felt a pang in my chest thinking the latter. I'd never in my entire life seen Mason cry, not even when we were little and I broke his favourite radio control car, sure he was close to tears but I've never seen him actually cry.

"Maso-"

"If you're here to offer your sympathy about what a crappy life I have and messed up upbringing I had then save it!" he cut me off harshly before adding, "I've lived my life alone like this since I was little, I've never needed anyone before so I don't need anyone now!" and when he looked at me, all the hurt and vulnerability that was present in his eyes moments ago were gone.

"I'm sorry you have to tolerate Liam but I can't help you now, I want to be alone so if you'd leave you'd be doing me a great favour." he added flatly and turned away from the large window, ready to walk away but I grabbed onto his arm stopping him.

"It's funny isn't it? Over a week ago I told you almost the exact same words yet you didn't pay heed, why? Because you wanted to help me, you wanted to let me know that I'm not alone, that I have a friend who I can rely on, a friend who's concerned about me."

"That was different." Mason murmured coldly without looking at me.

"Why?" I yelled. "Because I'm probably dying and you just have a mom who regrets bringing you into this world?"

Mason pulled his hand out of my grasp. "Don't act as if you can understand what I feel, you have a family who loves you, sure they might not be around much but they love you, I have no idea what a real family is like, I've grown up around nannies and servants, I don't know what it's like to have a mother tuck you in at night or a dad who reads you a bedtime story. I only know how to keep my family's name intact, to not disgrace the Clarke name!" he snapped.

This was good I thought, be it in anger but Mason was letting out his feelings, he was telling me about what he's probably being bottling up for a very long time.

"Sure my parent's love me Mason, but you seem to forget that our families aren't exactly worlds apart either, I have a brother who practically hates me and doesn't even greet me properly. Let's not forget how my parents, who are happily preparing for thanksgiving, don't know that it could possibly be the last thanksgiving I'd be alive to spend with them, they're so lost in their own world they don't know their daughter could possibly drop dead any day." I told him this time in a calmer voice; I had to remind myself that I was here to comfort him not fight.