Chapter II: Sorting Ceremony

18/10/2016

Rights to some of the characters and plot line go to J. K. Rowling and L. J. Smith. However, some of the characters and most of the plot are mine.

~~~~~~~~~

Katherina's PoV:

I must have slept for most of the ride to Hogwarts, for we seemed to be there almost immediately. The 10 of us shuffled out the carriage, standing outside the train to try and figure out what exactly was going on. Some older students walked towards carriages which were pulled by what I recognised to be thestrals, something that obviously most people can't see. The youngest students were being called over to the river where a long line of boats bobbed calmly.

Okay... the first years seemed to be being taken across to the school by boats while the older years travel by carriage... so where does that leave 8 people starting Hogwarts in their 6th year?

"Ah! If it isn't our new students!" A tallish man with a short beard and shoulder-length hair, that carried hints of both brown and grey, walked over towards us. "I am Professor Dumbledore, I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of me over the next two years given your circumstances." We shared subtle looks at this comment. "Now I would bet you're confused on where to go. Mya and Jillian, if you would like to follow the other first years across the lake, that would be wonderful. As for the rest of you, perhaps it would be better to take the carriages and avoid any unnecessary attention." He smiled brightly at us and then spun on his heel, disappearing into the crowd of people before we could say a word.

My eyes met the puzzled looks of my friends, before I shrugged slightly and turned to walk to the carriages, knowing I would be followed. I picked one that seemed slightly bigger than the others and walked over to the thestral while my friends sat down.

Thestrals are beautiful creatures, elegant and completely timid. They are mostly seen with a negative view because of their relations to death; something I see as completely unfair. I stroked my hand down the side of the creature's head once, smiling slightly, before turning to join my friends in the carriage.

At a squeeze, you could fit 3 people on either bench inside. That left two people to either get another carriage, or in this case, jump on someone's knee. Lisa rested in Christian's lap, something that was bound to happen even if there were enough spaces for us all to sit down. This meant that I was left as the other person to sit on someone's lap. I ignored Adrian's hopeful look, slipping straight past him to sit on my twin instead...

Best to avoid any awkward encounters.

We all stared in amazement at the scenery out the window of the carriage, loving the view compared to the old one we had at St. Vlad's. The academy was hidden out in the Montana mountain range, not much to see other than stretches of bare land. Here it seemed almost as if everything was teeming with life. Not even mentioning once the school itself came into view, perched in all its glory amongst small hills, turrets high and mighty, almost as if the noble castle looked down on the surrounding land. Yet it didn't seem to have a snotty air, more a protective, homely stare.

Within no time we reached the gates of Hogwarts, all 8 of us stepping down and meeting someone I hadn't seen for 3 years.

"Roberto!" I jumped away from the guys, running towards the robe clad man. He smiled upon seeing me, opening his arms for me to jump in.

We received a lot of curious glances from surrounding students, but I haven't seen my older brother for 3 years, so I really couldn't care less right now.

"Kit-Kat." He laughed, spinning me slightly. Once my feet had retouched the floor, he pulled away to look at me. "It's amazing how much people change between the ages of 13 and 16." He continued to laugh, now shaking his head.