Where is She

Damon woke up to a pounding head. Bourbon was great company for a lonely night, but man was it a bitch the next morning.

It turns out that the pounding was coming from more than just his head. Someone was banging on the door. Damon dragged himself over and opened it a little bit. "What are you doing here?" he asked.

Klaus stood before him, looking just as serious as always. "Where is she?" he asked through gritted teeth. Damon must have still been a little drunk from last night because Klaus looked like he was about to burst into tears.

"Where is who?" Damon asked jokingly.

"Kate. Where is Kate?"

Damon's eyes widened. There was no way Klaus could know about his newfound daughter. What did he want from her?

"What do you want from her?" Damon asked defensively.

"I just want to see her. I just..." he stopped, as if he was trying to pull himself together, "Please, Damon. I don't want to hurt her. I just have to see her."

Damon mulled it over in his head. Never in his life had he seen Klaus seem so sincere. He'd only come close when he was talking about his family. It's possible that he and Kate could have crossed paths at some point, but it wasn't likely. Still, what harm could Klaus do just by talking to her? Besides, from what Damon had experienced, Kate could handle herself.

"She went out a while ago, but she should be back soon. You're welcome to stay here, have a drink, and wait on her," he explained. Klaus looked at him with a grateful smile.

"So, you've got a daughter?" he asked, trying to break the awkward silence.

"Yeah, I guess I do. I only found out about her last week, though," Damon explained.

"You lucked out. Kate's... she's special. Different from so many people," Klaus mused.

"How do you know her?" Damon asked.

"Well, now that's a long story," he joked. After a few long agonizing moments, Damon pushed further.

"Knowing Kate, she probably won't be back for a while. We've got time, and I'm in the mood for a story."