Chapter 3

I loved spring time. The air was so fresh. The dandelions were just starting to bloom. I picked a dandelion and gave it to Mom. She smiled and thanked me for it. I knew she didn't like me picking the early tulip flowers, but dandelions were okay. The neighbor chuckled and shook his head as he sat on his front porch watching us, "Please continue picking all of those things."

I turned to look at the friendly man, "Why would you want all of the pretty flowers gone?"

He grinned, "They are weeds and I am trying to grow grass. Feel free to take them all home with you."

Mom chuckled, "We have enough for now, besides, I think it is time for supper."

I followed Mom back into the house. Dad was frying some bacon and eggs. The toast popped up and Mom went to butter it.

Dad looked over at her, "The school just called, they are closed until further notice."

Mom looked shocked, "Why?"

Dad shook his head, "Another virus just appeared and it has been found in a few spots. It is even worse than the one everyone has been watching. All schools and public places are being closed as a precaution."

Mom shook her head, "I thought those videos this morning were a bad April Fool's joke."

Dad shrugged, "Apparently not."

I looked up, "I thought the bad flu was far away?"

They looked surprised that I knew about it. Dad put the bacon on some paper towel and answered me, "It was, but it looks like they may have seen a few people elsewhere with it. Don't worry, we are still a very long ways away from where it was seen. They are just closing the schools as a precaution."

I was sad that school was closed. That meant that I wouldn't see or play with any of my friends. "Can Karen come over and play then?"

Mom smiled as she set the table, "I don't see why not. I will phone them later tonight to check what her mother plans on doing."

I smiled, "Thank you."

I came downstairs to say goodnight to Mom and Dad. They were watching the news again, I glanced over their shoulders to see mad people biting scared people on tv. It was a man on tv this time, he was talking about zombies. I was confused, Halloween is in the fall, not the spring. "Why is he talking about zombies?"

Mom and Dad jumped slightly, they must not have heard me walk up behind them. Dad started to turn the tv off before pausing and looking at Mom. She was looking at him and slowly nodded.

Mom looked over her shoulder at me and patted her lap, "Come sit and we will tell you."

I slowly walked around the couch and climbed up onto her lap. Dad started talking first, "It looks like a different virus just showed up. It spreads by contact and it makes people act funny. That is why you see those on tv biting others."

I tilted my head, "It is a different virus than the bad flu?"

Dad nodded, "Yes, it is different. Both would make you sick. The bad flu is putting people in hospital, but they eventually get better. So far, no one has recovered from this new zombie virus. But neither one has been reported around here yet. They are closing schools and many work places so they won't spread easily."

That was good. I didn't want to get sick. "Does that mean that Karen can still come over?"

Mom chuckled, "Yes, I called her Mom and she will come over tomorrow afternoon for a while."

I grinned happily. I couldn't wait to see her again. Perhaps we could play horses again or maybe we could go to the playground. Hopefully no one else would be there, I didn't like strangers or lots of other people. It made me really nervous and shy for some reason.

"Okay, I am going to go to bed. Good night."

I gave both of them a hug and kiss and went back upstairs to go to bed.

I woke up the next morning and got dressed. I must have woken up early since Mom and Dad were still asleep. I tip toed downstairs and turned on the tv, perhaps I could watch some cartoons before they woke up. It was still on the news channel and I paused at the video of a guy chained up with red eyes. The creepy news lady was back and talking about zombies.

I sat down on the carpet and listened to what she was saying. People could actually turn into zombies? Oh, you had to be bitten by a zombie first. I had never seen a real zombie before, so it wasn't likely I could get bitten by something I had never seen. I listened to everything else she said, although it wasn't much. Just avoid the zombies. Even I could have guessed that and I was only five years old.

I shook my head, I wondered if she told her boss that she was a witch yet. I wondered if the other Halloween creatures were real too. I saw dead mummies in Egypt, so they may have gone extinct. Dad said that aliens were held captive in a place called Area 51, so I would probably never see those either.

I got bored and changed the channel. I smiled as I found a Garfield cartoon. I lay down on the floor waving my feet in the air watching the show. I yawned and climbed onto the couch during a commercial. Some guy was trying to sell a frying pan. My eyes were heavy and I was pretty sure I was falling asleep, but the commercial was too boring to keep me awake.

I heard Mom and Dad walk down the stairs. Mom was speaking quietly, "I will go get the coffee ready."

Dad replied, "Sounds good, I will go grab the newspaper. I can see it at the end of the driveway. I will have to phone the company again, they should really throw it up to our door instead of leaving it there."

I yawned and pulled a small soft blanket on top of me. The current commercial was about shampoo. I closed my eyes as it didn't really interest me. I would open my eyes back up when I heard my cartoon come back on.