Chapter 26

I brushed out my hair and yawned. I glanced over at Diane, she looked fully awake and brimming with energy. She always seemed that way. Some mornings it took me a while to wake up. Okay, most mornings. At least I wasn't as bad as Trish when it came to trying to wake up.

I put my brush back in its drawer, "Who were those Guards with you last night?"

Diane glanced over at me, "I met them in the hallway on my way back from the workout room. They decided to escort me back to the room."

I tilted my head, "Why would they escort you?" Had she been in trouble? I couldn't see her doing anything bad though.

I saw a flicker of light in her eyes. Faint, but I was used to watching for it. Her eyes often gave her mood away. I wasn't sure if she realized this or not. Something had happened last night that she didn't like. "They walked with me to my room to ensure that I arrived safely. Some men with no name tags were seen prowling around last night looking for a fight. Don't tell anyone, okay?"

I nodded. I was glad that the Guards walked her back and made sure she arrived safely. I didn't trust the people with no name tags. Everyone here had name tags, to not wear your name tag was like saying you refused to be part of the Fort. There weren't many who didn't wear them, but all in that group were generally viewed with suspicion.

We entered Trish's room and she was actually waiting for us. Normally she was still trying to get ready.

Diane cheerfully greeted Trish, "Good morning."

Trish yawned and shook her head, "Uh huh."

I giggled, most people had a hard time dealing with Diane's energy and high spirits first thing in the morning. Trish really needed coffee before she was ready to talk with anyone. Unless she woke up to one of our pranks, then she had lots of energy as she tried to get at us. I hoped that the chain on Diane's door never broke.

We headed down for breakfast. The table was full of the regular people and I sat between Diane and Trish as per usual. Someone had made pancakes. I put a generous helping of butter on and drizzled syrup over them before greedily digging into them.

Diane chuckled and I glanced over at her with my mouth full of delectable pancake. Her eyes shimmered as she watched me, "I think that is the first sweet thing I have ever seen you eat. I didn't think that you would put syrup on your pancakes."

How could anyone eat pancakes without syrup?! I swallowed my mouthful, "It is really sweet, but I love syrup on my pancakes."

She grinned and stole a forkful from my plate. "Hey! Those are my pancakes!"

Trish chuckled, "Well, I guess those pieces are hers now."

I grinned and leaned against Diane as I ate another bite of pancakes. I really didn't care if she ate my pancakes, I had just wanted to tease her. There were dozens more pancakes on the main table if we wanted them. Even if there wasn't, I would always share with her.

I glanced around the table as I chewed. No one seemed to notice that Diane's eyes had shimmered. Admittedly, if I hadn't been watching so carefully I would have simply thought that her eyes were just a very bright blue color or possibly mistaken it for a trick of the light. However, I knew better.

I watched Diane talk with some of the others and noticed something else. She usually didn't look directly into someone's eyes. She would look at their face, but she didn't really make true eye contact. I had noticed in the past that unless she looked directly at me that it was tough to see how bright her eyes were, unless it was dark or they were glowing strongly. I had a strong hunch that little detail was why no one else seemed to notice her eyes.

I was distracted by the sound of shouting down one of the hallways. Heads all over the mess hall were turning, although we couldn't see the cause of the commotion. Several Guards and Raiders went to investigate. I kept munching on my pancakes, and thankfully Diane didn't go and see if there was a fight she could help break up. She probably would have if no Guards had been nearby, but they were already heading towards the commotion.

Before long a Guard Group Leader entered the room and closed that door behind him, "I will ask that everyone please use one of the other doors to exit this room."

Someone called out, "What happened?"

The Guard looked in the direction of the speaker, "Two people have been found dead in the yard, we ask people to please keep their distance while we investigate."

I blinked in shock and dismay as my heart dropped, someone else had died in a fight? Why didn't they just play rock, paper, and scissors? It was much safer. People all over the room were whispering and talking in a rush. Many were concerned, wondering if it was one of their friends. Several had friends who hadn't arrived for breakfast yet so they ran out a different door to see if they were okay.

How had they died? It sounded really fishy to me. I had seen other kids get into fights on the playground, but parents immediately broke up any arguments and no one ever got seriously hurt. One boy did get a bloody nose though.

My enthusiasm for my pancakes was dimmed. I still managed to eat the last of my pancakes. Just as we were leaving, more people came in and we learned that the two who had died didn't have name tags. I saw Diane and Matthew exchange a look. Neither looked impressed at this news.

Our schedule didn't change though, the Foragers needed to know where the good patches of greens were located. Diane was the only one who was doing the scouting. Others either couldn't run long enough in the deep snow or were not willing to go wandering by themselves through zombie infested forests and meadows.

I laughed as I sat on Diane's shoulders. She had bounded over a fallen log and it felt as if she was flying as she easily jumped over it. It was exhilarating and had a feeling of complete freedom. Out here in the forest it was just the two of us and I wouldn't have it any other way.

When we were alone Diane dropped her guard with me and showed her true colors. She was relaxed and easy going while still possessing boundless amounts of energy. She never seemed to tire even after jogging or loping all day with me on her shoulders.

In the Fort she downplayed her speed, strength, and reflexes. I was touched that she trusted me enough to not hide her true self. I was also able to relax with her in a way that just didn't seem possible inside the Fort fence.

Her eyes easily brightened with her mood or thoughts. As I had noticed before, absolutely nothing around us could move without her spotting it instantly. She saw every zombie long before it ever saw us. She didn't usually bother evading them, we simply ran too fast for them to keep up. Zombies didn't worry me when Diane was around.

I watched as we ran past yet another zombie. "Diane, have you ever seen a Swift?"

My training had mentioned the fast zombies that could climb. I hoped I never saw one. Diane didn't slow down pace as she looked at me with bright blue eyes, "Yes. In fact, there is one caged in the barn just outside of the Fort. Do you want to see it on the way back? It can't get out of the cage, so you would be safe while watching it."

So much for wishing to never see one. They had one caged outside of the Fort. Something about the zombie really seemed to amuse her and made me curious. "Yes, please."

"We can stop by the barn on the way back."