Chapter 66

Shortly afterwards he pointed over to the side of the road. I looked and saw what looked like an overgrown quad trail heading down beside a spot where the creek passed under the road.

"That is where we will turn off. The top of the lake has a section of land that juts into the lake in a U shape, and the fort is there. Easier to keep zombies away if you only have a small section of ground to guard. Steep bluffs protect most of the west and south side further out as well. We follow this trail until it comes out to a large clearing and then we head west until we follow a narrow path between the bluffs and the lake."

I couldn't see much of the trail, the land here was mostly covered with spruce trees and lodgepole pine. Not many plants grew in the thick forest of coniferous trees. Taver commented, "Only a couple of hours from here now."

Diane nodded slowly. I could sense both her excitement and her nervousness. She was so close to our destination, but we had no clue how they would react once they learned that she had been bitten. The outcome was uncertain, but we would find out before too long.

The men on top of the wall were giving Diane odd looks, but after obviously recognizing Taver, they did open up the gates for us. The fact that we were walking was confusing them. Nowadays confusion often accompanied wariness. Both were present. I kept close to Diane.

We didn't get far inside before a man hailed Taver, "Hey Taver, glad to see you made it. We were beginning to wonder if you retired. Who are your friends?"

Taver dismounted to clasp hands with the man, "I plan to trade for a few more years yet I will have you know. This is Diane and Laura, they were at Toga Place and heading here to help Ninette with her research. Diane has some information on herbs that may help. Either way, don't ever ask her to make you a strong coffee. You won't be sitting down for an hour."

Diane chuckled lightly at his exaggeration. The man walked over to and shook hands with Diane, "I'm Clive. I am in charge of this rat's nest called Bethany Fort. We are happy to have volunteers, I am quite surprised that you heard of us. Taver knows where the stables are, so he can head over there and I will find him later. Let me introduce you to Ninette, we have guest quarters at the lab for volunteers."

Taver waved as he led his horse away, "Go on, I will be here for a few days. I will see you later."

Diane nodded and followed Clive. I kept close to Diane, this place was huge and dozens of people were walking about on various errands. Clive led us over to what looked like a small warehouse at first glance. Inside, it was all vinyl flooring and shiny metal objects. Like the nursing area. There were several drop gates that could be triggered by hitting a red button beside them. It looked like someone had crossed a hospital with a prison.

I shifted closer to Diane as I noticed that several rooms we passed had zombies in metal cages. Diane looked relaxed, but I could tell that she was alert and ready to react at a moment's notice. Clive peeked in a few open doors before stopping in one and knocking quietly on the frame.

A sweet feminine voice sounded from within, "Come on in, I will be with you in one moment."

I had not expected a scientist to sound like that. Her voice reminded me of someone, but I couldn't place it... It certainly wasn't the guy on tv wearing a white coat either. We entered the room and I peeked out from behind Diane. She was about as tall as Diane, but thinner with her waist long brown hair tied back loosely. To my surprise, she wore the classical white scientist lab coat. She was doing something with a microscope.

"Drat. Well, none of the flu antiviral drugs work against the virus at all, even if you strip the protective casing off of the virus." She lifted her head to look at us in curiosity, "I don't believe I have met you two before."