Chapter 33

Diane was crazy. There was no other explanation for it. I knew she was an angel, but still. She was crazy.

Trish and Nathan were keeping me locked up in Trish's room while Diane was trying to lure the two men into the garden without them realizing it was a deliberate action on her part. She expected that they would try and attack her, so she was setting up a trap with herself as bait.

Once they were caught red-handed, they could be exiled from the Fort. Diane and Ace were both positive that Diane could dodge the murderers after all of her training. I could see why she had volunteered, she had the best chance of taking on two armed men without injury. She always tried to protect others.

I was grateful that Ace and a Guard Group Leader were hiding nearby while watching her in case she needed help. Diane and Matthew were pretty positive that those two were murderers and that they would take the bait.

I was scared that Diane would get hurt. I couldn't stand the thought of her being badly hurt, or worse, dead. I didn't think I could possibly bear to attend her funeral, it would just be too painful. My heart thudded painfully even at the mere thought of it.

Normally I loved board games, but I was having a very hard time focusing on this one. Thankfully Trish and Nathan weren't much better. The window faced the wrong way to see the garden, which was a pity.

All we could do was wait. It was driving me crazy.

Knocks sounded on the door in the pattern that Diane had always used, but I remained where I was with a frown as I looked at the closed and locked door.

Trish looked at me in surprise, "You normally race for the door when Diane comes back. Are you feeling okay?"

I looked at Trish with serious eyes. "I heard a set of footsteps. I have never heard Diane's footsteps as she approached that door before."

Trish frowned and glanced at the door with narrowed eyes. Nathan rose to his feet and drew his sword as he opened the door with the chain lock still done up. The chain allowed the door to open a crack, allowing him to see out.

He sighed, "Give me a second to unlock this." He closed the door and undid the chain to pull it open again. He backed up to allow Diane and Ace walk in as he sheathed his sword. I jumped off of the bed to throw myself at Diane who easily caught me. She chuckled as she spun me in a circle before putting me down.

My eyes widened at the sight of a bandage on her elbow, "You're hurt!"

"It is just a scratch." I glanced up at her downtrodden tone. She was smiling, but I could tell it was forced. Something was wrong. I knew she could see the worry in my eyes.

She sighed as Ace closed the door. She glanced at Trish and Nathan with regret in her expression. Even they could tell that something was wrong. Trish frowned, "What happened?"

Diane glanced at Ace before turning back to Trish, "You might want to take a seat."

Trish and Nathan sat on the bed while Diane took the chair. I sat on her lap. Ace leaned against the wall patiently. I had never seen Diane look so lost in thought before. Her eyes focused on me and I gave her an encouraging smile.

Diane took a deep breath, "As we planned, those two came to the gardens. The one had drawn a sword to attack me, but we were interrupted when a child ran past covered in blood and screaming. Desmond was chasing her. I managed to dodge the two men and intercept Desmond."

She paused with a glance at me, "The Base Commander ended up shooting Desmond as he attacked me. The two men and a dozen others are currently in the jail cells. I got this light scratch from Desmond's sword."