Chapter 31

I helped pick dandelion flowers and leaves with Diane in the brisk morning air. This early in spring they were one of the first things to bloom and the event lady wanted flowers for the funeral tomorrow.

I looked over at Diane, "Diane? What if everyone doesn't like dandelion flowers? My old neighbor didn't like them."

Diane looked over at me in amusement, "Well Laura, if they don't like what we picked for them, they can come out here and pick their own flowers."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, "But there aren't any other flowers blooming yet..."

She grinned at me, "Exactly."

I blinked before starting to giggle as I saw her plan and logic. I continued picking dandelions with a grin on my face. I somehow doubted that anyone would complain if they were told that their only other option was to go pick flowers themselves.

Most people were terrified of going outside of the fence. I didn't see what was so scary about it though. Dozens of Foragers and Raiders did it every day. Then again, if that zombie in the barn got loose, or if another one showed up, I wouldn't want to be out here with it either.

In the end, we did manage to find a couple crocuses and snowdrops. Diane figured they would go to those closest to the guy being buried.

The sun was shining and the day looked like it would a really nice one. It was too bad that it had to start with a funeral. Everyone had been handed a small bundle of greens to drop as they said their goodbyes.

Each bundle had 11 dandelion leaves and 1 dandelion flower. It reflected the eleven group members left behind with the flower representing hope for the future as well as the fact that he had stood out and would be missed. I thought it was a nice touch.

Others apparently seemed to think so as well. At least no one complained about being handed dandelions. Our turn came up far too fast. I doubted that I had ever met this man and I had no clue what to say. I simply murmured a small goodbye as I dropped my dandelions.

We had the rest of the day off and I looked forward to it. Trish had been working night shifts the last two days and simply wanted some time with Nathan since they hadn't seen each other much. Diane led me over the playground.

For once, there were no kids or anyone else around. A game of tag or catch me if you can really needed more than two people. Especially with Diane's speed.

We started playing in the sand and ended up building a sand castle in the shape of Wainwright Fort. I tilted my head, "That third building is angled like this, isn't it?"

Diane glanced over at my line in the sand and nodded, "Yes, it is."

This was more like a memory exercise than anything else. Yet, it was still fun. "Are there two windows between these two doors, or three? I can't remember."

Diane thought for a moment, "There are two in the first office and one in the second office."

I put two small twig window frames in the proper locations.

Diane glanced over her shoulder, "Good morning."

I hadn't heard anyone come up and I twisted to look behind us. Two men were approaching. I looked at their name tags. One was a Cook and the other was from one of the Building Maintenance groups.

The cook nodded, "Good morning, mind if we join you for some company?"

Diane nodded slowly, "Okay." It was polite enough, but I heard a hint of reluctance under her voice. I had a feeling that she didn't really like these men that much.