Chapter 49

We were staying here for the entire day to rest and load our half of the trade goods. The fact that we didn't have to stay inside of the fence was even better. Dave had noticed the lack of variety in the salad last night and had traded some stuff in exchange for Diane showing six villagers more edible plants.

She had given them a printed cheat sheet booklet that all Foragers carried. Neither of us had even looked at it in months, so we wouldn't miss it. We got to spend most of the day in the nearby meadows showing people which plants were good. Three of the Traders accompanied us with their only job being to lure zombies away from the fearful villagers.

We stayed out until just before supper and returned with quite a haul of green edibles and mushrooms. The six we had escorted were quite excited. They had recognized most of the plants, but had not known that they were edible. I had really enjoyed the day and showing off my skills.

Supper had much more variety since a couple of bored Traders had gone hunting earlier. I listened with interest as Dave and a few locals discussed a medical research lab that was working on a vaccine for the zombie virus. Dave hadn't heard of them and was interested in trading. He asked several people for directions, but all they knew was that it was further south near the mountains along a major highway.

As I listened, I was somewhat surprised at the number of different groups of survivors that they knew about. I should have guessed that if Wainwright Fort had three Trader groups, that they had to be trading with someone, but I hadn't realized that there were so many groups still surviving. It sounded like there were at least fifty towns were scattered across the province.

After supper we headed back out to the trailers. Sandy wanted to get out of the dining hall since it had a low ceiling. I didn't blame her, I was tired of the crowds of people I didn't know. Several more had asked if I would stay with them instead of going outside to the trailers. I had politely declined each time, but their attempts had me rattled.

I was surprised when Joel and Jake joined us. Diane looked at them in curiosity and Joel shrugged, "They may be a friendly bunch, but it is somewhat like the fort. If you don't belong, you aren't quite accepted. Besides, it will likely be quieter out here."

Jake started chuckling, "Ah, come on. Tell the truth now. Sandy was describing the breakfast that Diane had made this morning and he was practically drooling. He is hoping that if he volunteers to help fry the fish and wash dishes that you will make it again tomorrow morning."

I giggled as Sandy and Diane laughed. Diane had made battered fish since it had been just the three of us this morning. It had been really good. Diane grinned at the slightly blushing Joel, "Sure, I will catch it and prep it, but you will have to keep an eye on it as it fries up. If Jake wants a taste, then he can do most of the dishes afterwards."

Jake grinned sheepishly at getting caught in his attempt for a work-free breakfast, but nodded his agreement. I giggled, if he thought that he was going to volunteer someone else to do the work and then try to come along for a free meal, he was sadly mistaken.

We played a few board games and got ready for bed earlier than usual. I had watched Diane yesterday and today and I had noticed that she had gone back to hiding her abilities as soon as the village had come into sight. She had even hidden her nearly inexhaustible stamina, pretending to have the limits that most people had.

Tomorrow morning we would leave to head back to the Fort. On one hand I was glad to be leaving this village, but on the other hand it meant that our trip was now half over. Too bad Dave hadn't chosen a more distant place to go to.

I had no real desire to go back to the Fort. I blinked at that realization and examined it. Other than a few friends, the Fort held nothing I really wanted. For others, it was a safe haven in a chaotic and dangerous zombie-filled world. I didn't mind being outside of the fence.